Olive Egger and egg color

It’s annoying when your OEs don’t lay olive eggs. Mine lays brown eggs, it’s a legbar cross “olive egger” I bred a ameraucana to a maran to hopefully get some OE.
I have an ameraucana/BCM cross that lays what we call "matcha" green eggs. Not quite olive, but pretty. If you cross your F1 (what mine is) back to a BCM then you will likely get dark olive green eggs in the F2s, but also increase your chances of getting brown eggs. Egg color genetics are fascinating! :)

Photo of the “Matcha” green egg to give you an idea of what to expect. Pictured on white paper in indoor light next to a red sex link egg.😊
1CD69D54-66CB-4F1F-B2C9-122B79BD5543.jpeg

I love this green egg. What is the lineage of this bird? Id love to make a hen that lays that. Will you share?
Of course! She is a hybrid from an ameraucana, purebred not EE, crossed with Black Copper Marans. 😊
I just went out to get a new photo of her and found her sitting in the nest box getting ready to lay an egg I expect! She’s a fairly prolific layer has been laying almost daily since she completed molting. I say six eggs a week on average. Standing photo was from a few weeks ago, her tail had not come completetly in after molting. She has the orange eyes and feathered legs of the Marans and the beard and muffs of the ameraucana.
4B625A97-AB1E-4E5A-B72E-DB8884AFF9FA.jpeg
A5AD89E3-07CD-41FB-87C9-A44DFF43C66C.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom