Olive Egger help

OmahaChicks

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2016
Last week our friends husband picked up 2 olive egger chicks, supposedly pullets. I'm not sure how old, they looked around 2-3 weeks when we got them. Anyway, she told him they were "black copper mixes" and they both have these little head tufts. So I figured Cream Legbar/Marans cross? But mine has the strangest comb, not a straight comb from what I can see. What kind of comb is this? And do you think it looks like a pullet?

Thanks for your responses :)

I sure hope pullet. I really like "her" and would love some olive eggs. What kind of comb is that though? It's like all flat with a weird little twisty bump?

Really beautiful chick, looks like it's getting barring. I would love it to be a girl but, watch the wattles developing already. Maybe a few more weeks and the comb will turn into something we recognize.

welcome-byc.gif

I see a lot of Legbar hens here with wavy/funky straight combs, so it could be a carryover from that.

If you knew which bird was which, that would tell us if the chicks were sex linked. Not looking like a cockerel at this point, but it may simply be too early.

Thank you! I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one. I've had boys show themselves earlier than this, but I've also had a few late bloomers. That's good to know about the legbar combs, it's the strangest one I've seen.

I wish I knew which bird was which, unfortunately I don't. Our friends bird has the same barring and head tuft, but a different comb.

Thank you! I believe he/she is around 4-5 weeks, so I hope I'm able to tell soon. No boyish behavior so far. Kind of a little chicken butt, very cautious and a little skittish. Legs seem a little thicker, but so do some of our other pullets. I won't be surprised either way. This is today with my husbands TSC bargain bin pullets
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom