Olive egger stance- could this mean Roo?

Renn

Chirping
May 25, 2017
IMG_1027.JPG
hello! We recently bought 10 baby chicks, 2 of each breed we wanted. I've noticed one of the olive eggers has a completely different stance then the rest of the chicks. I know I've read on here (what a great place this is!) that when the stand upright like this they could be boys. They are only about 4.5 weeks old maybe 5. His "sibling" the other olive egger is the grey one in the pictures. The grey one feather in quickly but as you can tell with this one it still barely has any feathers and has a more upright lanky posture. Are these signs of a roo?

Attachments

• IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    401.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    509.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 24
IMHO, no. The primary signs of a rooster on young chicks is longer/thicker legs(of the same breed), faster growing comb and as they mature, hackle and wing feathers that are more pointed than rounded and curved tail feathers.

What does catch my eye and attention is the comb bud on this chick...can you get a good clear comb shot?

Last edited:
Well this one is defienelty slower to feather out, it's the only one that looks more "naked" lol. I hope it's a pullet though! I know only time will tell.

Here are some comb shots
What does catch my eye and attention is the comb buff on this chick...can you get a good clear comb shot?

Here are some comb shots best I could get.

Attachments

• IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 23
OE Roo 3 row peacomb.JPG
OE Roo hen difference same age.JPG
OE Roo hen difference same age.JPG
View attachment 1032093 hello! We recently bought 10 baby chicks, 2 of each breed we wanted. I've noticed one of the olive eggers has a completely different stance then the rest of the chicks. I know I've read on here (what a great place this is!) that when the stand upright like this they could be boys. They are only about 4.5 weeks old maybe 5. His "sibling" the other olive egger is the grey one in the pictures. The grey one feather in quickly but as you can tell with this one it still barely has any feathers and has a more upright lanky posture. Are these signs of a roo?
I think you are way too early to tell. First sign with OE in my experience is a bright red pea comb with three rows verses one for hens. My hens stood upright as well at that age, especially when startled. I am no expert but I attached a few pics of my OE Roo at 8 weeks so you can see the comb difference. In the first pick you see the three distinct rows of his peacomb, in the second pic the roo is between the two hens and you can see the definite comb color difference.

Here are some comb shots

Here are some comb shots best I could get.
Now that I see the pics I see three rows on that comb but the feather coloring tells me something different. Do you know what cross you have? Generally OE hens are the more dull brown coloring which this chick has but the comb seems to be pretty fleshy with the start of three rows.

Back
Top Bottom