OLIVE EGGERS? looking for breed information

Quote:
Olive eggers aren't a specific breed. They are a cross, or mutt. There's many combinations for olive eggers, but the basics are a dark brown egg layer crossed with blue layer.

Dark brown layers would be Marans, Welsummer, Penedesenca. Blue egg layers would be pure Ameraucana's, Araucana's and Easter Eggers. When you cross them you will get olive colored eggs. Some people cross the offspring back to the dark brown layer to darken the olive color in the eggs.

A lot of us are playing with olive eggers. Mine are WelsummerXAmeraucana, but I also have an olive egger cockeral that I'm playing with to see what he produces.

Here's the olive egger thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131131&p=35

Olive eggers aren't a breed, per se. They are mutts bred specifically to get that color of eggs. A blue egg laying breed is crossed with a dark brown laying breed. The offspring should lay an olive egg.

Now here is where I'm fuzzy (and I'm sure others could clarify). I THINK that not all of the offspring will lay olive eggs, but only ones with a certain comb type.

I'm really interested in olive eggers, too, so hopefully someone else will be able to give you more info than I can.

I'm on my 2rd generation of darkening up the green. I first mixed brown egg layer hens with Aracauna roo.
Got him from farm place so didn't know his genetics or color egg he came from.

Aracauna and isa browns - Green/orangey color eggs
Aracauna and Cochin - Pink egg (darker pink) with green spots. Yes really.
Aracauna and Silkie - Light green
Aracauna and Barred rock - Olive green (my favs)

These were last years eggs...
49478_dscf1503.jpg

Now this year I had/have several of the Barracaunas I call them, and mixed them with BC maran roo.
I got my first eggs from them this week, Not too consistant for a newly start aracauna hen, but I've heard Marans are very reliable layers. I get one of these dark eggs every other day.

49478_2011eggs.jpg

I have these girls with a barnevelder now at a friends house. To see how much hard and spotted I can go :)

My experiment again this year Mix my BC Maran, Blue Copper maran, Barnevelder, Welsummer, and Red maran with cochins and olives, to see which breed gives me what...

I love the colors, and Ebay buyers always accuse me of hand coloring my eggs. LOL
Maybe they are jealous.

Quote:
I love them, that is what I am looking for the deep olive color. I just love to go to the cop to see what I get today. I have a maran rooster and 2 EE hens and three maran hens and an EE rooster. maybe I'l get lucky in the spring.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom