Olive Eggers

grayyell11

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
I'm crossing some Easter Eggers and just for fun threw a Wyandotte hen in with my EE rooster. Is this cross going to result in Olive Eggers?

No.
It takes a really dark brown egg layer crossed with a blue egg layer to get an olive egger.
EEs aren't always carrying two genes for blue eggs so no guarantee the EE will contribute a blue egg gene to the offspring. The Wyandotte won't contribute dark enough brown to get olive coloring. You are likely to get some green egg layers though.

No.
It takes a really dark brown egg layer crossed with a blue egg layer to get an olive egger.
EEs aren't always carrying two genes for blue eggs so no guarantee the EE will contribute a blue egg gene to the offspring. The Wyandotte won't contribute dark enough brown to get olive coloring. You are likely to get some green egg layers though.
Should still be some nice ones. Thanks for the info.

It's kind of subjective as to when an egg is green and when it's olive green. My EE lays a greenish-blue egg. She had three female offspring (dominique x EE). All three of the females from this hatch produce greenish-colored eggs. Two of these hens produce eggs that I'd call a medium olive color. They aren't dark olive because the sire is from a breed that lays light brown eggs, but they definitely have an olive tint to them.

It's kind of subjective as to when an egg is green and when it's olive green. My EE lays a greenish-blue egg. She had three female offspring (dominique x EE). All three of the females from this hatch produce greenish-colored eggs. Two of these hens produce eggs that I'd call a medium olive color. They aren't dark olive because the sire is from a breed that lays light brown eggs, but they definitely have an olive tint to them.
I agree. For example I'd say my Cream Legbar x Barred Rock lays a medium olive egg. Pic below with a Leghorn egg for comparison. But it would depend on your EE's genes as Moonshiner says. Good luck!
IMG_7146.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... my flock includes a Welsummer Rooster and a couple Americana hens. Given how dark brown Welsummer eggs are, maybe I'll hatch some of crosses and see if I don't get some nice Olive Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom