Olive is becoming emaciated. I want to stop impacted crop treatment.

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
to be brief, my question is crop is reduced to only gravel inside. Can we stop treatment? I was out of town So my husband was unable to do any crop flush. He did the daily routines of coconut oil ,Dulcolax, Crop massages, wormed. This went on for 10 days. Crop slightly reduced each day. Treated also with Monistat recently, although no signs of sour, crop was present. I returned, and have since given 4 Epson salt crop flushes, the last one being this morning. I just felt gravel after last night. We have been giving her small amounts of soft foods because of the timing. She’s a Colombian Wyandotte at 17 weeks old. This is her second impaction. The other one cleared totally. I’m afraid to keep her confined much longer, so I was hoping I could release her with the remaining grit in her crop. The coup is sand and she basically free ranges in A large confined wooded area. @ Wyorp Rock. Azygous

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpeg
    IMG_0444.jpeg
    996.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Answering the bat signal. If you're pretty sure this was impacted crop, this individual should be fine now with no further treatment. But do make sure she's getting enough proper size grit, which should be up to one-eighth inch in diameter and have sharp, not rounded edges. Also, give probiotic tablets for the next few days to establish good microbes in her digestive system.

If the crop fills back up again during the night instead of emptying, then treat with miconazole twice a day for a full seven days.

We have been giving her small amounts of soft foods
If she is getting emaciated, as the title says, then she needs more food.

I might try offering free-choice chicken food (pellets or crumbles) and see how she does. If she is able to digest it without her crop clogging up again, then letting her eat as much as she wants will be the fastest cure for the emaciation.

I mention pellets or crumbles because they are made of already-ground-up bits. They get soft and fall apart when they get wet (like when the chicken drinks water), so they will hopefully be able to get digested without being stuck on the way.

Another suggestion. If she is eating sand perhaps change your coop substrate?

Deep dry litter wood shavings and cut straw, composting litter, or hemp would be good choices depending on what you have available.

Back
Top Bottom