Olympia's chicks hatched! *LOTS OF PICS*

HorseFeathers

Frazzled
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Southern Maine
At an incredible rate too... Out of 9 eggs, 8 hatched. The other got bacterial growth and when we opened it up the yolk was like scrambled... Not stinky, just weird.
sickbyc.gif

BUT
The other 8 are balls of amazing fluffy cuteness!
jumpy.gif

Friday night:
Pip, pip, hooray!
8324_pip1.jpg

The next morning...
All tuckered out from hatching!
8324_sleepy_chick.jpg

That evening:
Beginning to explore:
8324_chix3.jpg

The next day:
Time for a photo shoot!
2 of the 3 Delawares:
8324_chick_with_lightbulb.jpg

8324_chix6.jpg

8324_delaware1.jpg

8324_delaware2.jpg

2 of the 5 Welsummers:
8324_welsummer8.jpg

8324_yelling_welsummer.jpg

8324_welsummer10.jpg

We're not naming them until we can determine gender. For now they're Uno through Ocho.
tongue.png

They're SOOOOOOO CUTE!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Quote:
LOL
lol.png

Yeah, it was a great hatch for a first hatch under a broody. They're actually even more people-friendly than the hatchery chicks we have gotten, probably because Lympy's teaching them that humans are the bringers of food, LOL...

Now if only they'll be all girls...
fl.gif
(Hey, I can hope, right?)

Last edited:
Wow that a great mortality rate, nice job!

Generic question for anyone.

For people that have hens that raise chicks how do you feed them chick starter, and keep the hens away from it? Or do you use chick starter? If not why do we that purchase chicks need to use chick starter.

Don't want to hi-jack but its been a burning quesiton and I just don't know where to ask it
tongue.png

Thanks!

Don

Quote:
I feed chick starter to broody and babies. She's not laying and she needs the extra protein to get her strength back. However, my broodies and babies have always been separate from the flock, so I haven't had the issue of feed yet. Layer feed is bad for babies-too much calcium. You can section off an area so the babies eat their starter and the big hens can't get to it, though. They may get a few bites of layer feed, but hopefully, not enough to hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom