1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Omega-3 eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pride&joy, Oct 18, 2010.

1. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure if I am asking this correctly but what should I feed my chickens so they lay omega-3 enriched eggs?

2. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Allow them to pasture and supplement with feed that contain fish meal.

Here is some good information regarding omega-3. My chickens spend all (for now) their time in the coop/run so I supplement with lots of rich greens for their treats. They liked the wheat grass I gave them before so I've started growing them in trays. My layer feed (cascade) also contains fish meal.

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Flax and or fish meal

Both are high protein Flax 34% fish meal 60%

I would not go over 20% of their diet on the flax or 5% of their diet on fish meal.

ON

4. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

thank you for the info both I and my chickens say [​IMG][​IMG]

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I sprout wheat in the winter for them.

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    pasture grass is the best source for Omega 3's and also the easiest and cheapest... free ranging out to do it. [​IMG]

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Put the green feed to them. Let them harvest their own or cut it for them, but green feed is the way to go.

8. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:
    A.T. Hagan :

Put the green feed to them. Let them harvest their own or cut it for them, but green feed is the way to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Indeed.... Free range or pasture
    However in my part of the world the green world turns to white for about 6 months of the year... I am not sure of the omega-3 values of snow is that great.....SO I supplement with Alfalfa, sprouted, wheat, oats, BOSS, Flax and fish meal....
    [​IMG]
    ON​

9. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Is "yard grass" as good as pasture grass?.... I dont have a pasture [​IMG] but i guess with only 3 chickens, i dont really need one.

10. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Add me to the sprouting folk. Its so easy and they can never refuse sprouts.

I did organic scratch grains in the sandy run during the summer, but now I have proper trays. In them I do alfaalfa, brassica sprouts, and loads of wheat grass which I plan to have on rotation for regular harvest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by