OMG ... biggest egg yet! (pics)

Best thing is just to keep fresh bedding in their nests; straw or wood shavings are what we use. Also a good roosting area separate from the nest boxes so they don't roost on the boxes and poop in the nests. If you do that you will get mostly clean eggs. We use a dry scrubby to get them clean if they're not bad, and the ones that are bad a scrubby under warm water. We refrigerate the ones we have to wash, or have them for breakfast right away. Refrigerated they will last quite a while.

We did not measure this egg, just laid it next to a very large, approximately 2.5" egg from another hen for comparison. It tore a little coming out, as you can see from the end of the egg. It was a double yolk with larger than average yolks and white. All I can say is "ouch!"

WoW

is it large eggs year

i was saying a few posts before my hen lays woppers but not as big as OP

well today i got a shock

my hen that lays biggens layed a football today

This was an egg one of the reds layed one month into laying.A true double yolk and the weight was well over the extra jumbo size. May have been all the fresh greens they got. Sure that was a bad day for her.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Two of my Australorps have now started laying, fancy that in Winter. My first 2 ever eggs.
yesss.gif
Today I received 2 more which makes a total of 10 eggs now and they are a little bit bigger than the first 2. They seem to be getting bigger now as they continue to lay. The picture below are the first 2 and they weighed 51 & 52 grams the latest ones weigh 55 grams. How exciting - I have also noticed that the membrane is quite thick and strong - I hope this is a good thing.

Cheers

Chrissy
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I also had a HUGE egg this year! I was shocked when I collected eggs and found this one! It turned out to be a triple yoker! How cool but thankfully I have not found another one of those.

With my old flock I used to get eggs like that fairly consistantly.I got 3 in one month. All double yokers. I was told it was due to feeding them too much. I dont know what truth there is to that though as I keep my feeders full with my new flock of the same breeds (from a different hatchery) and have yet to get a very large egg. I beleive it is due more to genetics rather than the amount of feed.

Back
Top Bottom