OMG! Dumbest mistake EVER!!! D:

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
I bought what I thought was a speckled sussex about 6 weeks ago. It's only now, after about 5 people telling me, "that doesn't look like a sussex", and believing it was just hatchery quality, to realise what I indeed bought was SEX-LINK!! GAAAH! And, just to rub it in, I picked a MALE.
he.gif

This did not occur to me at the time as there are literally ZILCH speckled sussex breeders in all of NSW and I was really excited. After driving about 3 hours, and finally picking up only one, I actually only distantly noticed half were of a lighter shade than the other. I chose the largest one with the smallest comb. Now it is obviously a HE. He has a ginormous comb, thick legs and the beginnings of spurs. And I'm guessing, since he is a sex link, I will not be able to cross him with my light sussex pullet. I am telling myself to never buy from this breeder again, though the last time I was there, i saw some lovely plymouth rocks
lau.gif
BUT I WILL RESIST!!!
somad.gif
I DON'T WANT MORE SEXLINKS!!!
barnie.gif

DSC00417.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

Last edited:
He's cute though! Why on earth didn't the breeder clue you in? Were they scamming or what?

rant.gif
<--- this would be me if I were you and I saw them again lol

If that's the dumbest mistake you've ever made, you're doing well.
smile.png
He's a handsome chick and looks healthy and happy.

Did the breeder tell you it was a SS? I would be disappointed in that case, too. Otherwise, think of him as a great learning experience. And, if it helps, I've done far worse in misidentifying chicks, too. (Like for example the blue/black/splash cochins I thought I got - they are nice mottled cochins- if I wanted a pack of roos! *sigh*
We live and learn.

If it is a sex link then the sellers should have known. I would take the little guy. Ever since my teen roo died in August 2010 all I can think of is getting another roo for my 7-8 hen(one is very sick).

Back
Top Bottom