OMG HELP MAGGOTS!!!

I would always follow YOUR advice Rooster! LOL
wink.png

i think justino is one of our younger members folks . . . right justino?
so his/her discourse is gonna reflect this. i don't think he or she is tryin' to be rude or anything . . . they're just being a kiddo!
tongue.png

i for one have no idea about the maggots but i do give my chickens meal worms and they LOVE those. although the meal worms are grown on farms for consuption only which is a little different sort of thing.

it's a very interesting thread! i'm gonna keep checking back!

Last edited:
Its very simple - you are stressed so why wait for any reason.

Get the coop cleaned out asap, if you can't do it, find some one who can.
Is the old/dirty bedding wet????
If so figure out why.
Make sure your water is up on a steping stone or cinder block this keeps the chickens from kicking the bedding into the water.
BUY some of the cheap fly strips, you untwist them and hang them fro the ceiling where you or your birds won't bump into them.. they are very cheap and work well.

IF YOUR COOP IS WET with Rotting beding and Moist rotting Poo flys will lay eggs in it.

ROOST - Get a long 2X3 or 2X4 for them to roost on. If you do not have a truck to haul a long peice of wood just measure the area and lowes will cut a long peice of wood to the length you need for free.

smile.png

Last edited:
Check birds for wounds, also check for lice infestation.

Put in roost

Take out t-shirt replace with pine shavings or straw

Let chickens eat maggots/or whatever they are. If they came across them in the yard they would eat them. Which sort of makes me wonder why they haven't eaten these yet.........lol.

I'd probably also use some DE in the coop area.

Good luck

Julie
smile.png

Oh no, I wasn't taking it as rude, I just want him to research if he feels uncomfortable with anyones opinion, so he can draw a better informed conclusion.

Maggots only eat dead flesh and rotting organic matter make a treat for chickens. They will not last long with no dead flesh and hungry chickens on the prowl.
lol.png

Last edited:
There's a previous thread about compost maggots. They're deposited by the compost fly. On warm days, I dig a shovel full out and throw them to the chickens who gobble 'em down.

I too wonder why you have maggots in the run, roost, coop, or house.

k, so the coop is wet because it was raining and very windy so the wind blew in the rain threw croacks and lil holes in the coop so it is wet...so i think ill leave the maggots be and wait for my chickens to find them. Or should i put them by them so they eat em? they are sleepin on the roost i made for them so its ok today.
hmm.png

Quote:
Actually there are some maggots that feed on living flesh, they are the only parasitic maggots.

Check "maggot" in wikipedia and follow the link.

Back
Top Bottom