OMG HORRIBLE 5 DAYS! Can these be eatten?

wolftracks

Spam Hunter
12 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Modesto
I'm so upset. Bad hatches, weak chicks, then a quail explostion, now this.

I had 3 breeds Corturnix that had been in garage since I got them. I have no way to keep them cool in there so very early this morning an I set up another pen I had got at an auction, Made sure they had plenty of shade food and water and they looked so happy.

It's 103 here. I had set a gallon waterer with the nipple attachments in with them, but sometime in the last 2 hours I lost my birds. I watched them for almost and hour and the waterer was fine. No drips, but its almost empty, 2 of my birds are dead and I put a contaner of water in the pen and had to pick my last bird up and set him in it. He's doing fine now, but I lost two.

I can't believe I'm even asking this, but I hate not to use them. Can these two birds be butchered??? I know that didn't die from anything other than heat stroke, but I don't know if that a no no. BTW I've never processed before, but I can watch a youtube video or something after I cut the heads and drain the blood.

I know they were alive 2 hours ago, bit not how long ago they actually died. I feel like a murdered for letting them die like that.

Last edited:
Arrrgh. I'm sorry to hear about your heat stroke loss! Sounds like you're having a rough week! Quail explosion???? What the heck was that??

hugs.gif

There was a recent thread here that might help you. Otherwise, I'm sure more peeps will weigh in.

Yes, if you process them right away, they're perfectly fine to use. They died of heat stroke, not disease. I'm sorry that you lost them.

Thanks everyone.

I hadn't gotten an answer fast enough, so I called another member, sowngrown, then went to look up information online to process and no internet, no cable, even my phone couldn't catch a signal and isn't connected to the other two. Didn't get service until 10 minutes ago. I've been hiting the refresh button almost constant. LOL

So I came in to brag a bit. I did it. Never in my life did I think I could, but then again when it comes time to process and I don't have heat stroke as a reason, I may find it difficult.

I had to think of it like cleaning fish. I used to love to fish and ya gotta clean what ya catch, so I could do that. My only disappointment was that I wanted to save the little heart, liver and gizzard. Maybe another time. Those are some tiny organs! LOL

Anyway I stuck water on the stove, set a bowl of ice water next to me and set up, processed and although it was only two I think 25 minutes was pretty good from start to finish.

I only wish I hadn't had to do this. These were my breeder hens and now I have none until my quail explostion matures.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6730572#p6730572

I have another post about those and need to go add pics. These girls were pretty hefty, so I hope I get more their size. I was really suprized how much bird was there. Then again I fed them well. I still feel really bad, but at least I found them within a decent amount of time and they didn't go to waste.

Back
Top Bottom