OMG... I am getting three of these for breeder coops.

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/1464315791.html

Changes
I made are:

1.) All 1/2" x 1" hardware cloth and 1" chicken wire being replaced with 1/2" hardware cloth. (raccoons)

2.) Ramp will be longer and not so steep.

3.) Only two nest boxes on the left side. None on the right.

4.) Bolt latches being replaced with hatch latches and carabiner clips (raccoons)

5.) Hooks to hang waterer inside run.

6.) I a going to make PVC feeders.

I am so excited. The contractor will be here in an hour to measure and collect a deposit. I made a deal for ordering three so not as expensive! He is also going to deliver them and help us get them to the back yard. Yee Haw!

thumbsup.gif

Great post! Love the name and slogan too. We are keepers of cluckmore house and gardens. It is the home of the famous Taj M'Cluck 5-star chook center. It is 4 months old and no pics yet. Will do some when I get out of dinosaur 35MM mode of pics. Maybe I can bribe someone with some fresh eggs.

Robert came by and checked the location for my breeder coops. Because my property backs up to a creek we are not allowed to have solid wood fencing across the back so water can go thru if the creek rises. It's a declared floodplain. So we have wrought iron fencing across the back. Robert suggested making the back part of the runs wood instead of wire so nothing can reach through. I thought it was a good idea, especially if the creek rises! This is the area where the breeding coops are going. Pic was taken last winter with the creek at the highest it's been in the 18 months we have lived here. I think it will be fine. Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

34566_eggs-15.jpg

I just made another change. I am having 1/2" hardware cloth secured to the bottom of the run. We can't dig down to bury an apron and we have some moles or something that like to dig in that area. I'll just throw some sand or decomposed granite on top for scratching and pooping in.

You can follow the progress of my breeding coops here: http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/custombuiltshelters/Chicken Coops/Marys trio of coops/ Robert doesn't have pictures up yet but once he gets started building them he will document the progress. It might be a good thing to follow along and build with him! Maybe I could even do it that way.
idunno.gif
nahhhhh.
hu.gif

My breeder coop construction is officially underway! Here are the pics. http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/custombuiltshelters/Chicken Coops/Marys trio of coops/ I am so excited, but there is a big storm supposedly coming in tomorrow. I am not sure how much work Robert can get done. I am loving the hardware cloth floors in the run. I can cover with some soil and digging predators can't get in and my flock can still scratch in the dirt. Now I just have to figure out some kind of ground cover or grass that will grow in the main breeder run. It has to be chicken safe, grow in the shade, and not require mowing. Hmmm....

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
The breeder coops are really cute! I love the design & style. You have made some really great changes to the builders former plans.
clap.gif

Can't wait to see more photos with the progress....
caf.gif

Congrats on your coops, I've seen his posts/coops on craigslist ... very nice work. As for growing something in the run.... good luck, they'll just scratch it up unless you have tons of space.. any smaller fenced run will end up being dirt. I resorted to sand in my run.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom