OMG...I am Shocked!!!

Aw. That is so sad!

I am going to the Philidelphia zoo this Friday... now I know what they're feeding their animals for treats!
hmm.png

Great post AussieSharon. I got into raising chickens to connect with my daughter better. She and I enjoy going to collect eggs together in the evenings.

Quote:
Not to be picky, but the 4H program we are discussing it in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Based on the description on the Extension Website this is an URBAN area, so offering the chicks to the children in the classroom more than likely not an option.

Jim

I have to agree with others that there are far too many anthropormorphic attitudes with misplaced compassion and unrealistic, unnatural views of Nature and Livestock.

Jim

How do you misplace compassion? Like oops, I misplaced my keys. Oh, ops I misplaced my compassion????????

I understand that you do not want people living in a fantasy world where everything and everyone is happy. Just like someone may not understand why you would be upset over baby chicks, some would wonder why some people can chop the head of soemthing and feel no remorse. Everyone has their own feelings and compassions. Why bash someone for feeling compassion over baby chicks? It may be "misplaced" in your eyes, but not hers! At least she is feeling compasison for someone or something. Can't everyone just agree to disagree on this issue?​

If you search on youtube there is a video on there showing what the TEACHERS in most local schools do with the birds...they get set out by the trash! Left to suffer and die! That is just ridiculous! I would expect more from a school district.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Not to be picky, but the 4H program we are discussing it in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Based on the description on the Extension Website this is an URBAN area, so offering the chicks to the children in the classroom more than likely not an option.

Jim

True. But they should sell the chicks to a Tractor Supply or agway or something. Yes they are in an urban area, but there are always farmers on the outskirts of the area.​

Quote:
I had my first chicken from my embrology class in college! I loved the fact that my parents let me keep her. It was a great experience to all. I wish parents would allow more children to experience this.

old.gif

Ok, me on my soapbox again:

I am an omnivore, I love steak and fried chicken. But I respect those who have decided for whatever reasons, not to eat meat. I too, disagree with the way many commercial operations treat production animals. I have lobbied for more humane treatment and slaughter of animals raised for food. ALL creatures man keeps for whatever reasons, deserve to be fed and housed properly and treated humanely. Slowly, bit by bit, this is becoming more so. Still a long way to go, but steps have been made in the right direction.
fl.gif

I think people who hatch chicks, that don't intend to keep them, have a litter of pups or kittens, etc., should have potential, good homes lined up BEFORE they decide to do these things. Don't wait until the puppies are 6 weeks old, THEN start looking for homes. If more people did this, fewer unwanted ones would end up in shelters or abandoned, because if you start asking around, you will see how few (qualified, serious) takers you have.
idunno.gif

I think it's great for kids to have classroom pets and hatching projects but forethought needs to go into where these animals are going afterwards.
jumpy.gif

Many classroom pets die or are abandoned because no one remembers that SOMEONE has to care for them on weekends and holidays, not to mention summer vacation. Having classrom pets gives some children who for many reasons, cannot have pets at home, the opportunity to learn how to care for them. This teaches responsibility and kindness towards others that are weaker than oneself. Of course, it also allows them to experience the love and fun of having a pet. If the teacher manages it correctly,and lets the kids participate in the animals' care, many kids that have had a classroom pet will NOT beg parents to get them a bunny or hamster, because they know what it takes to care for them.

Please remember!
hugs.gif

We are all individuals here, (and have our own opinions)yet we all share a love for animals. Some of us have pets, some production animals, some (myself included) both.
Everyone here is a member to learn and improve on what they already know and to connect with others that have the same goals.
AND we are all here to have fun and enjoy and shareeach others animals and experiences.
yippiechickie.gif

Ok, I'm off!
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom