OMG I am so excited !!!!!!

Next spring will be a good time to let her start again. I'm sorry none were fertile but next time they will be more mature and hopefully you and Daffy will have some ducklings hatch.

How did your dad's visit to the hospital go?
Thanks. I still feel blessed that I got to experience this with Daffy and Daisy and I can't begin to quantify how much I have learned through it all. I've got mixed feelings on looking forward to the next time since it does come with some unexpected and most definitely self induced stress 😊

Dad's preliminary appointments, scans, and biopsy have been completed. Next appointment is with the Dr on Wednesday to go over the results and findings. He's back at work today, a little sore but determined to not just sit around. He's 75 yrs old and runs construction equipment full time 50-60 hrs a week still. I can't convince him to retire.

Thanks. I still feel blessed that I got to experience this with Daffy and Daisy and I can't begin to quantify how much I have learned through it all. I've got mixed feelings on looking forward to the next time since it does come with some unexpected and most definitely self induced stress 😊

Dad's preliminary appointments, scans, and biopsy have been completed. Next appointment is with the Dr on Wednesday to go over the results and findings. He's back at work today, a little sore but determined to not just sit around. He's 75 yrs old and runs construction equipment full time 50-60 hrs a week still. I can't convince him to retire.
It's probably best he stays busy less time to worry.

It can be stressful when we have one sitting on eggs but I can tell you from experience having one of our birds do all the work is much better than watching an incubator. it is for me anyway.
Main thing to remember is they have this ingrained in them from instincts. And most make great mamas. I've never been disappointed in my Muscovy and their parenting skills.

Was surprised to find that Daffy laid 2 more eggs. I don't know when she laid them or how long they've been in there but here they are #27 & 28
20221112_151124.jpg

20221112_152121.jpg

20221112_152358.jpg

They were removed and will be food for us, well at least for SO. I still don't feel right about eating them. I am trying to stick with the plan of waiting until spring to let her keep them.

Bake with them. Boy do they make baked goods so moist and tasty.
I was just going to tell my SO about your idea and the plan for Daffy's eggs and I couldn't get the words out without breaking down and crying 😭

I hate that I'm like this 😫

Anyway, I suggested the idea to make a "birthday" cake to celebrate all the eggs Daffy's laid.

My 2 cents worth of thoughts:
I realize that you find it hard but you need to stop thinking of every egg as a potential duckling.
Collect daily until spring. I know it is warmer where you are but for many of us it is way to late to even consider letting poultry hatch eggs.
If you find it difficult to use the eggs yourself, consider selling them. If you don't wash them, they can be stored on the counter for several weeks. Then you can sell by the dozen.
Late spring you can start watching for any broody behaviour. Date every egg. Brooding is when she rarely leaves the nest, and then only for food, water, and swimming if you have a pool. She does not need these provided inside coop. Remove any eggs that are more than a week old. I stand to be corrected, but I think she will stop adding to the clutch if broody. Hatch date is determined by when she goes truly broody but can be more or less days than expected. We'll help you out with that.
You also need to consider what you are going to do with the results. Lets imagine that of your first batch, 10 ducklings had hatched. Do you plan to keep another 10 ducks? What happens if most of them are drakes? I can't imagine you would be prepared to eat any, but are you going to be able to sell them?

Back
Top Bottom