OMG... I did it...I have Peeps! See Pics

peepers4me

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 28, 2008
I went to pick up my peeps yesterday from Meyer. They are perfect! I am soooo excited to be a new peep owner. I have never had chicks before but have done my homework for the past 3 months. They are so cute I cant stand it! O chickie poop I think I am hooked
ep.gif
I got 12 Leghorns and 3 Silkies.
I hope the pics will show. I am such a proud mama!

11069_100_1639.jpg

11069_100_1634.jpg

I do have a few ?'s if someone could please answer it would put my mind at ease.

The Silkies are straight run, when they mature will they try to have baby chickies with my Leghorns if I have a roo?

I have a 250 watt bulb in the brooder. I noticed they do not lay directly under the light so I kept adjusting it yesterday. My temp reads 90 but is not hanging right under the light. Its hung on the otherside of the tub. How do I know if I have rised it to high and they are not getting the heat they need? I read they will huddle directly under the light. They are happy and running around the brooder, eating and drinling like crazy but will not sleep under the light.

I could not sleep last night. I was so worried about the temps but this morning I woke up to happy little peepers! Thanks to all of you who share your info on this forum. I could not have done it without your advise and suggestions and I welcome every one of them
thumbsup.gif

A 250 watt bulb is probably a bit of overkill for a small indoor brooder. A 100 or 75 watt incandescent bulb should do the trick, but if they're peeping and happy, it's not a deal-breaker if they're avoiding the hot-spot under the light. Just keep an eye on things. With that much wattage, you may need to change the light soon.

Yes, a silkie roo will want to mate your leghorns. A lot.
wink.png

Congrats on the new babies.

Thx for the advise and congrats. I will get another bulb today and see what happens. I need to figure something out incase I do have a roo before I am in the same boat as many here....... Having to snuggle up to hubby LOTS!
love.gif

I think I would be more concerned about the leghorns mating your silkies...aren't they smaller? My friend had leghorns with her silkies and ended up having to get rid of them as they were really mean to the silkies. Good luck with yours! Hope all turns out well!

The leghorns are all girls. The silkies I am not sure yet as I know it's almost impossiable to sex until several months of age. The Silkies are smaller but the leghorns seem to get along with them. The do not bother them when they try to eat and drink so I guess thats half the battle. I do worry because of the silkies small size the horns will cause damage. I have not seen anything that would cause me to split them up and I really want them raised together from the start because they are all going in the same coop later on. I am seeing them get straight to sorting out pecking order among each other. I have 1 leghorn that seems to be the leader already and they are only 3 days old! Dang can they eat and drink for only being 3 days old but it's ok. Eat chickies eat
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom