OMG...I feel so bad...U2 killed my African grey today..sick about it!!

I think of all the pet birds out there, cockatoos are the ones I wish were never domesticated. There are so many wonderful toos that I know and adore, but no matter the degree of care you can give a cockatoo (The sanctuary where I work give the birds nothing but the best!) they still live such sad, sad lives. They are just such intelligent birds, and sticking something like that behind bars is like putting a human behind bars. I know I'd go a little crazy if I was in a cage most of the day! I think that's why so many cockatoos develop such unpredictable behaviors and a lot of them are eventually given up.

Again, so sorry you had to go through this!

Chicker...I totally agree. I also question macaws being domesticated, but I honestly think they are less of a problem than the 'toos. I would NEVER EVER consider breeding a too or recommending one as a pet. This guy was a rescue from a BAD situation and he had a pretty nice life here. I am sure that his new "mom" is going to continue the trend. She's great and is SOO excited about getting this bird. I pray that it is his last home.

Last edited:
hugs.gif

Bugladyleah,

I know so many cockatoos that were in wonderful homes and still have issues! That has to say something for the poor birds! Macaws have issues too, but cockatoos just become so clingy and attached to people that they have so many more issues adjusting to new surroundings and people.

When dealing with any kind of animal, accidents are bound to happen. Honestly, how many of us have left our chicken doors open too late at night? Or forgot to check how many chickens were in the coop before shutting the door? I know I'm guilty of doing that! When it comes to parrots though, accidents are just more likely to happen, because those birds will get into and destroy anything you put near them. Doesn't matter how careful you are, or whether you are the most responsible owner in the world, accidents will still happen. I know its hard to avoid beating yourself up about it because you lost a good bird, but try not to blame yourself too much.

BTW, where in PA are you? I will keep my ears open for african greys looking for homes!

I paid $800 for an AG that I didn't need simply because he was too messy for his owners who'd built a new house. He was moved from a corner of the formal dining room (which is NEVER used) to the living room -- better, he got more attention & interaction with the family -- but the LR had carpet and GOSH & GOLLY! he'd drop food & feathers! Imagine that! Since that was too big a hassle, he got relegated to a back bedroom (at least it had a window he could look out) where the male owner (and this is a VERY, VERY male-oriented bird) would come in in the mornings and drink his coffee in there IF he had the time). He'd see someone when they checked his food bowl and changed his water. Other than that, he was in solitary confinement the rest of the time. My husband bought him for me as a birthday gift b/c he knew how much I worried about him. Does the bird like me? NO!! (I have the scars to prove it). Does that matter to me? Of course, but not like you might think. I want him to like me, but since he tolerates me and adores my husband, that's ok. He's not shut up in a back BR by himself anymore. He will even tolerate my cockatiels getting into his cage with him (until I pop my head in there and see them, then they get removed immediately -- I know what damage he could do if he took the notion) and amuses himself by making lots of different household sounds (including calling me in my husband's voice and making me look like a goober when I come to my husband's office door saying, "What did you need?"
roll.png
AGs can be a challenge, too. I hope you find a young one who will adore you and be everything you could wish for, and make sure you make arrangements for its care beyond your lifetime.
hugs.gif

Just wanted to add my voice to the condolences chorus. You know we ALL have those little slip up moments! No matter how careful you are, your actions will never be flawless. You're just human.

hugs.gif
And then you just keep having thatsick feeling thinking, "Oh if ONLY I could go back in time and NOT do that... If only!" You know it was a tragedy but don't beat yourself up; you're obviously a very responsible bird owner and you need to give yourself credit for the help you provided to the Umbrella (who ARE very clingy and seem to just kinda have a prima donna attitude, don't they??) and the Grey's life was great while it lasted.

When I was 12, I put my guinea pig in its cage outside in a shady area to "enjoy the day". Many hours later I looked out and realized it was now in full sun, and when I went out the water bottle was bone dry and Miss Piggy was dead. I still feel so guilty and I am nearly 40.

It would be nice if folks who feel the need to chastise just resist the urge to post on these threads where an obviously distraught person is posting about a mistake any of us could've made. In these moments, you should encourage yourself to hear a police-like voice from the distance, instructing as though through a bullhorn: "Back away from the keyboard! You have the right to remain silent!"

Last edited:
Quote:
I put a heat lamp on 5 brand new chickes last year and then had to run my daughter to work. 45 minutes I was gone - and all chicks were dead when I came back.

It was too hot.
sad.png

And then - I tore my MCL and couldn't get out of bed last fall. I kept hearing my baby calls peeping loudly outside but I couldn't get up to see what was going on (they were like 8 weeks old at least). My son found them drowned in the pool that night because the water level went down and they couldn't get out.
hit.gif

I felt SO bad both times We all make mistakes and we all have to forgive ourselves. It's OK.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom