Omg I Found A Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by magikchick, Aug 12, 2010.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    It flew into my yard a young muscovie. Looks like a female. What do I feed it. I always want ducks lol. Now one found me. Should I clip it's wings. I got it in a covered pen right now.

2. sourmilknightmares

sourmilknightmares In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    If it just flew into your yard and isn't particularly people friendly, I would let it back out to do it's own thing. That's just me. Around here we have a flock of thriving feral (I guess?) muscovies. They wander around this one neighborhood and all seem to be doing quite well just doing what ducks do. If this duck isn't used to people, it's probably scared and you might be doing more harm than good keeping her.

3. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    It's quite tame and eats out of my hand. Don't know where it came from the only one I've seen are miles away from here in town.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If you decide to keep it, feed it flock raiser, some scratch grain as a treat, veggies (peas, tomatoes, etc.). Also if you keep it and want it to freerange you will have to clip its wings or it will fly away. Could it belong to someone nearby? Not that I need any more ducks, but I wish a duck would find me.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Songster

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Someone may be missing their pet duck!

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Songster

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I would see if it has an owner or if it lives somewhere around town. We have at least one Muscovy at our lake in town and he's quite tame and friendly. Everyone loves him and would miss him if he went missing. So, I wouldn't clip his wings just yet. I would check to make sure that he's not the "town duck" or someone else's pet before doing that.

One Muscovy I know of actually likes bird seed. I'm sure duck food will be just fine.

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    If it's eating out of your hand, it is someone's pet.

I would put ads on Craigslist in the Lost & Found, Pets, and Farm and Garden sections.

Then, if no one contacts you, you could keep in good faith. You'll need a buddy, secure pen with night time bed, pool, food. Chicken starter/grower or all stock poultry has the right amounts of protein 18-20%.

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

If it's eating out of your hand, it is someone's pet.

I would put ads on Craigslist in the Lost & Found, Pets, and Farm and Garden sections.

Then, if no one contacts you, you could keep in good faith. You'll need a buddy, secure pen with night time bed, pool, food. Chicken starter/grower or all stock poultry has the right amounts of protein 18-20%.

agreed.​

9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Songster

I'd be very careful with that. I remeber reading something about muscovies in Flordia being protected or something. I'd really look into that first... but if all else is ok good luck!

10. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Omg you found a duck. Lol!! [​IMG]
    Lol that once happened to me. except it was a black chicken - and the neighbours are NOT close, we even asked if they were missing a black chicken. Nope. lol
    Called her Black Penny and she fitted right in. Followed us everywhere and roosted in the stables with the horses. Every morning she'd go up to the house and infront of the bedroom window scream 'cock-a-doodle-doo' (not sure if females were supposed to do that). Lol she wasnt the most popular chicken to the people who actually lived there.
    Her Nickname was Random Chicken.
    [​IMG]

Goodluck with random duck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by