OMG I just can't decide!

phoenixrises

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 20, 2013
I need to put in my order for the week of July 10th. And I just can't push the button and buy. I keep second guessing what I want to do. I am ordering from Cackle, because I know I want 3 turkeys and they are the only ones I've found that will ship them with my chicken order. I wanted Myer but they will only ship 15 turkeys!

I'm ordering a friend 5 of a hybrid layer. So that's set.

Then there's me. I had asked before and got the great recommendation to buy 25 SR, then keep all the pullets, choose my nicest rooster for their protection (they'll free range during the day while I'm home and have a nice safe coop/run for nighttime or when I'm gone for long periods) and eat the rest. So I know I want DP. Someone recommended I get 25 hatchery choice and that's what I was going to do but then I got to thinking. I know this is an issue. I like the idea of having one breed, if for some reason I decided to hatch my own I like that that's an option. My son wants to get into 4-H and while i believe they do have a production class, I'd prefer to have one breed to focus on.

So here are my 3 options as I see it (your input is appreciated):

1) Get the 25 hatchery choice DP. Use that as an opportunity to choose which breed I really like and put in another order next year (or maybe do eggs). Then of course I'm introducing chickens as that would be too early to cull, so might need a second coop and run.

2)Barred Plymouth Rock - When I first started looking at chickens, they stood out and I really liked them. They seem to fit the DP bill very well with decent size and decent egg production. Also look like they have a good personality for the kids.

3) Golden Laced Wyandotte - I just think they are gorgeous. I know the roosters don't get as big, but not sure that's as much of an issue. This is purely an aesthetics thing. I just think it would be awesome to see that in my yard.

Would it be unreasonable to order 25 SR of the Barred Plymouth Rock and then just 5 of the Wyandotte sexed for pullet? That's probably going to end me up with a few more than I originally wanted but I have the coop room for up to 20 layers (and 50 meat in another area).

Ok, so help me out. Please?!

I know how hard it is to decide! I like option #1 the best simply because that's how I got started, too. I got a mix of 7 different breeds and that how I discovered that I absolutely adore the Dominiques. I now breed Dominiques (and would encourage you to look into them, too!!! gotta spread the love, lol). But you might discover your own favorite with a mixed group!

Of course, your other two options are perfectly reasonable, too. Good luck with your choice!

So I went with none of the above. . .

I called cackle and mentioned my quandary. So this is what I bought:

5 - hybrid layers (not for me)
5 - Barred Rock Pullets
5 - Gold Laced Wyandotte
25 - Fry Pan Special (all cockerel DP)
3 - Bronze Broad Breasted Turkeys

That really did seem to make sense. The guy was really pushing me for 10 gold laced wyandotte because they are his favorite, but I decided to try out the Barred Rock and make a decision. Hopefully it was a good choice!

Yay, have fun with your flock. :) I had one gold laced wyandotte, she was the prettiest thing. My eldery neighbor, Al, likes birds a lot but his wife won't let him get chickens, lol. He used to come over every so often to watch my chickens. He'd always point at my gold laced wyandotte and say, "I sure do like that one." I offered to give her and a couple others to him many times, but he'd always say, "Oh no, Nancy wouldn't have it." :)

I got 5 GLW's from cackle on 8 April. and you will love them their lacing is almost breeder quality. Wish I could say the same for the SLW's I will have to wait and see with them. They are healthy though. And have a nice color contrast. Just not Ideal lacing so far. I got then for eggs and to look nice so I really have no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom