OMG I killed her Omg omg *update on the extent of Munchies wound

I am sorry, it must be a horrible and scary thing to have happened. I have had so many pets I loved that I felt were my fault, and died in pain as well(some of them). You'll be okay. Don't quit.

really sorry. that's a hard thing to go through. being responsible for the death of an animal is no small thing it's better you've had trauma over it than being indifferent.
the good thing is she didn't suffer. these hard things happen. hope it gets better for you soon.

I have kept various animals throughout my life, and I too have made mistakes in the past which I believed caused some to die. Forgetting to close a gate and keep the dog away from the animals was one of my worst guilt trips that still haunts me. It can happen to even the most careful person.

I try and remember that we are only human. If you make a mistake, then you learn from it, and you will never do the same thing again. It will make you a far better animal owner than someone who has got lucky and never had to face the consequences of a bad mistake.

Stop beating yourself up. Know that you did your best, with the limited resources you had. Honour your little chicken and say goodbye, and then concentrate on the others and being an even better animal owner, which you definitely will be. You sound like a very caring and sensitive person, so please give yourself a break.
hugs.gif

Please don't give your chickens away after this traumatic experience!!! I agree with the other writers that you are just the sort of person who should be keeping animals! I know how you feel - we raise sheep and occasionally have to put a stomach tube into a baby lamb to save it. I try to be so careful but I once put the tube into the lambs lung and drowned it, I felt like a murderer. I guess these things are all part of the learning curve in keeping animals, just wish it wasn't so hard.

And I think you were wonderful to try to inject the chicken --- I don't know if I would be brave enough to.

Can you get your DH to look after the rest of the birds for a day or too, so that you can get over this? Then you can care for the others, in memory and honor of Munchies.

I think everyone on this forum has been in a similar situation at one point or another. It is heartbreaking. But, you in fact may have done nothing wrong. All you know is that you gave her a shot and then she died. It may or may not have been due to the shot, or location. Sometimes animals just die. When my parakeet was getting her beak trimmed by a vet (this had been done regularly) she died. Related to the trim itself? Probably not. Related to stress from the trim? Maybe. Related to underlying issues that caused the beak to grow so much that it had to be trimmed regularly? Another possibility. Was I really sad? You bet. But she was a loved, well-cared for bird who had a great life right until the end. Just like your beloved chicken :)

I did not read every thread..... and have used penicillin on my cats. it is also very important to know how much per cc is in ea dose, not all vials you get are the same making the dosage possibly incorrect. Also some are allergic to penc. so you must have a kit on hand to inject to counteract a life threatening reaction.. anaphylactic shock.

First.... you did your best. Most of us are doing the best we can with what little expertise we have...and I mean little. She knows what was in your heart, and if you believe in God and Heaven, then you know she's ok now. Mistakes happen. We learn from them and move on. Next time you will do it differently and you will probably save the life of one of your sweet babies. Many people just cull the sick ones - at least you tried.

Second, rule of thumb, 1/10 cc for each pound of weight. Put the syringe in about 1/4 inch into the breast, pull back, and if there's blood, reposition. If not, then give her the meds.

Third, you are a caring, loving person - THAT is why you feel so badly. You are exactly the kind of person who should have pets and chickens! Yes, it will hurt sometimes, but the rewards will greatly outweigh the pain. Hang in there...MANY hugs.

OMG...I am the worst person in the world. I can't breathe.  I can't breathe!!!!  My poor chicken was attacked a few days ago...she started dropping her wing alot and I was worried about infection.  I checked on here and decided that I needed to give her Pen G like everyone said to.  I got it at the feed store.  Everyone said 1 cc in the breast.  I just did exactly like I said and she immediately died.  In my arms.  She ****** died in my arms!!!!  Then afterwards she started flop around and it was the most horrible experience of my life.  I can't breathe...I can't do anything.  I can't stop shaking.  This is a nightmare.  WHAT DID I DO??????  I just wanted her to be better.  OMG....I hate myself.  I can't stop crying.  Oh God...I feel like this is a dream.  What did I do wrong/?????????   Please tell me.  I can't take it.  I have to get rid of my chickens now.  I can't look at them...I never want to see chickens again.  I can't believe this.  I can't believe it. 
Im so sorry. Just...Calm down. Take a deep breath. Its ok. These things happen and if you did what everyone said to do then its not your fault. Something just must have gone wrong and her body didn't like it. I know the feeling its shock. Give it a day or two to calm down. It will be alright.:hugs

Quote: This is totally right. She was thin, injured and stressed. And that is a lethal combination for birds. Possibly the additional stress of your handling pushed her over the edge. But if that is the case (if she was that fragile) there was nothing you could have done for her anyway.

I have given many (thousands) of injections over the years.
I have euthanized birds by injection. An in advertant injection of euthanasia solution into an air sac will not kill a bird that fast. It is nearly impossible to hit a lung with a needle. If you hit something hard, that was breast bone; You did not kill your bird!

Hope this helps.
And I am so sorry you are going through this.
Tomorrow, take some time and sit with your other birds and remember why you have them.

This is totally right. She was thin, injured and stressed. And that is a lethal combination for birds. Possibly the additional stress of your handling pushed her over the edge. But if that is the case (if she was that fragile) there was nothing you could have done for her anyway.

I have given many (thousands) of injections over the years.
I have euthanized birds by injection. An in advertant injection of euthanasia solution into an air sac will not kill a bird that fast. It is nearly impossible to hit a lung with a needle. If you hit something hard, that was breast bone; You did not kill your bird!

Hope this helps.
And I am so sorry you are going through this.
Tomorrow, take some time and sit with your other birds and remember why you have them.
Hello- i am new at this and have never had to cull a chick. The idea just horrifies me... but i feel like i need to put on my big girl pants and prepare myself, because odds are eventually its gonna happen and i need to do my homework to be prepared... PLEASE tell me what you use to euthanize by injection...i am a nurse and think i may be able to do it ...just can't EVER see myself chopping anyones head off...i mean ,please they just look at me with those sweet eyes, how could i ever?

Back
Top Bottom