OMG!! I set my eggs on 6/9 & I set them upside down! Update post #18

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I don't know what I was thinking! I'm so upset! These are White Crested Polish that I have wanted FOREVER!!

I set them on Thursday, June 9th...but tonight I switched them to small-side down. That's 6 days upside down!

Please tell me - have I ruined them??? I could just cry....

Last edited:
Oh no
sad.png
I know the few I set upside down by accident didn't make it but I sure hope yours do! NOW I always candle to see for sure where the air sac is just to be safe. Good Luck! If you lose them I will send you some bearded buff laced when mine start laying this fall if you would like them? I need someone to test them anyhow
big_smile.png
They are from champion stock and have GREAT looking parents
big_smile.png

I don't think it hurts too much at this stage of incubation. Later on, the vertical orientation of the egg is really important, because the chick has to orient towards the broad end, which due to the natural shape of the egg points up. Chicks do at times naturally develop in the small end, and some of them manage to hatch in spite of it.

I could be wrong, but I think that the chick will still be able to turn itself at this stage to develop normally.

Let us know what happens. Good or bad outcome, this will add to the collective knowledge base.

it really shouldn't matter this early, they are still just floating around at this stage....I bet they are fine
wink.png

Crested white polish now? Did you sell off the Ameraucana's? The two hens I received from you are so docile, I really like them a lot. I thought the one had quit laying on me then found her stash under a bush, sneaky thing she is. Other 2 younger hens I'm still waiting on eggs from them, they're holding out on me but they sure are big enough.

Good luck on your eggs, don't know what to tell you...I always lay mine on their side and never had a problem. This just adds to your bad weekend! Good things should be on your horizon now, I hope! Take care!

Back
Top Bottom