OMG My Salvaged Egg is Chirping - UPDATE - It didn't make it

mj_n_peeps

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 21, 2010
Upper Montgomery County
My broody hen abadoned several of her eggs after the first 6 hatchlings last Friday/Saturday. I came home a few days ago, Tuesday I think, to find that she rolled 7 eggs (of the remaining 12) right out of the next. Well, I don't have an incubator so I stuck them under a heat lamp with a thermometer and a wet kitchen towel. One pipped but never zipped and hatched. I tried the bra thing, but it didn't seem to help. I then tried putting it back under mom two nights ago and found it today half unshelled and very dead. The membrane was very thick and the yolk sac was never absorbed. In the meantime I forgot about the other 6 and just assumed by this time they were all dead. I wasn't able to detect muh of anything when I candled them Tuesday night.

Well..... tonight I went into the room to turn off the heat light and clear it out and then one of the eggs chirpped!!! And loudly!!! Noexternal pip yet, but I'm so excited!!! I checked the temp (right around 98-99ish), added more water to the kitchen towels and now I sit and wait! I even found a hydrometer to keep tabs on the humidity level, but it's a bit hard to do with out a real bator!

I am beside myself with excitement and worry!!! I'm on a cleaning frenzy to keep busy!! Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I am able to save this little peep!!!

Last edited:
fl.gif

Thanks for the good luck!

I know ths is going to be a silly question.... but how long from internal to external pip? I heard the chirpping for the first time around 830pm, but I have no idea how long it was going on before that. I worry that the egg and membrane would dry out before the peeper had a real chance. Espeically since I left it unattended for at least two or three days. Is that possible?

MJ

There isn't really anything you can do but wait. If it is meant to hatch it will. If you try to help it, it won't make it. Be patient.

Back
Top Bottom