OMG!!! One of my shells has a pip!!!

About 95F. We go by their behavior instead of temp. If they're huddled together under the light & peeping loudly, they're too cold. If they're scattered as far away from the light as they can get & panting, then too hot. If they're spread out evenly, sometimes under the light & sometimes not, then they're just right.

Congrats! How exciting! When I brood mine I put them in an over size cardboard box, so the area under the lamp is 95 and areas further away are less; they can choose their needs, if they need warming up, chicks move under the lamp, if they need less heat, it can be further away. I use 2 thermometers to be sure I have a range 85-95 to start. I'm sure you will remember to dip the beak in water for each one and put crumble on a paper towel. GOOD LUCK! Post pics if you can.

Thanks for all of your advice. The chick is doing great! Very active. So far none of my other eggs have piped. This one might be the only one. I'm not giving up yet, but if it is the only chick, will it be ok or get lonely? Has anyone else only had one chick hatch or make it, and if so, how did that go???

Last edited:
So glad the chick is doing good
thumbsup.gif
I definitely wouldn't give up hope, yet.

They do much better with a companion. There are several threads on here about putting a mirror & feather duster or stuffed animal in the brooder. I'll see if I can find some of them. You could always see if you can buy it a buddy from somewhere. With our gosling that hatched out this year, we gave her a stuffed animal & mirror, but geese are different than chicks & she ended up imprinting on me.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=454447&p=1
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=394205

Last edited:
Thanks, i'll definitely try that. Now what about mixing different hatches, not that I have any other hatches yet . But I have been saving eggs for the last few days. What if there is a three week difference?

Quote:
Hi!! I'm on day one of my chick that has hatched, and the chick hatched on day 25. I learned from the forum that I had been incubating at too low of a temperature for a still air incubator. I was keeping the tops of the eggs at between 99.5 and 100. Come to find out that was what the center of the eggs should have been at. I also read on BYC that sometimes this extends the hatch time. I was shocked yesterday when I saw a pip. I still have thirteen eggs in the incubator but nothing else yet. I think I'll keep hope and trying till Monday night.

Should I give up before then. Is there any way to tell if the eggs are still alive???

Well I tried a float test, and they are viable still according to the results. Nothing sank, and the eggs floated about 1/3 or less out of the water. So I put them back into the incubator and I will give it till Monday night. My hatched chick is awesome!! Starting to run a little. Eating and drinking good. I put a mirror and a few small stuffed animals in with him/her, and seems to like them. Big r is selling chicks starting wednesday, so if nothing else, I'll go buy another chick.

Does anyone know how to sex a chick at this age?

Back
Top Bottom