OMG!!! One of my shells has a pip!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rebjilek, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Rebjilek

Rebjilek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Pueblo, CO
    I thought all hope was gone. That I had ruined another hatch. But, today when I got home, one of my shells had a pip and I can see the beak working on the hole. THIS is soooo amazing! I learned from the BYC forum that sometimes if the chicks are incubated at a lower temp that they take longer to hatch. Thank you who ever wrote that, cause I would have given up. Hopefully this one makes it and some of the other thirteen start to pip too. I just wanted to share my good news and joy!!!! I'll keep posting on the progress.

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG] It's so amazing watching them, isn't it? Hope you have lots of new babies soon [​IMG]

3. Rebjilek

Jul 27, 2011
    Pueblo, CO
    Question..... How long after they pip and zip should I help? The chick only zipped half of the shell and is now trying to break free. Is this normal????

4. Rebjilek

Jul 27, 2011
    Pueblo, CO
    The first chick is out. I can see what looks to be an umbilical cord . Is this normal???

5. weimarmama

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    That happens sometimes. Give it some time & the cord will dry out & fall off. I had one the other day like that & she's doing great now.

Congrats on your new chick [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Rebjilek

Jul 27, 2011
    Pueblo, CO
    Thanks so much! When should I take the chick from the incubator and put it in the box with a heat lamp and food and water? Will morning be good?

7. weimarmama

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    In the morning will be fine as long as he's dry. If you have any other pips or zips at that time, you might want to wait until they've hatched out & are dry just so they don't shrink wrap. The yolk sac that the chick absorbed can sustain him for 3 days, so he'll be fine if you wait.

8. Rebjilek

Jul 27, 2011
    Pueblo, CO
    Thanks for all of your advice. WOW what a day this has been.

9. bobbyc1970

bobbyc1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Bristow Oklahoma
    congrats............ [​IMG]

10. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Yeah!!! Congrats!!! Like someone else said, morning is fine, or even 48 hours after they hatch. You don't want to open the incubator if more are pipping because they can shrink wrap. If no eggs are pipping it's fine to open the bator quick and get him out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by