OMG - please tell me they will survive

lynned

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
So - I am a first time chicken mom - received 11 day olds today .... I just found out I way overmixed the vitamin powder with the water - like I would say at least 20X too much vitamin powder. They drank that mix for about 7 hours and then I was notified of my error. I quickly switched and they are now getting straight water. They all seem well enough right now but geeeeez .... will they continue to be well??? What could be the repercussions of this stupid mistake? Thanks
smile.png

well - they survived the night
smile.png

a few have some pastey butt but I think I can handle that

Oh gosh I was so worried about that happening over here. My girls are on antibiotics and the people at the store told me to just "toss in a pinch" ..... sorry... Id like to MEASURE it out lol. I'm a new chick mama too and ohhhh... it's nerve racking!

I am pretty new too at chickens. We lost one last month and since then I have been watching them like a hawk. We are having a little problem now... so watching them even closer. I was feeling pretty silly at times being so worried, (specially when my husband say not to obsess so much). I am glad there are others out there that do the same.
smile.png
smile.png

Montana

There are two types of vitamin, water soluble and fat soluble. I think it is A, D E and K that are fat soluble. Others are water soluble. Excess water soluble are uninated out in humans, the fat are absorbed in to the fat. You can become toxic with fat soluble over time. But with water soluble you just have expensive urine. That is why it is ok if folks take mega doses of vit c and it does not cause problems. So I assume since they were disolved in the water, they are water soluble. But, the other question is why are you giving them vitamins? If there are eating a balance feed, drinking and healthy, they probably do not need is, unless you have cash you just want to spend.

Back
Top Bottom