1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG, somebody stop me!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Magilla, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Magilla

Magilla Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    BC Interior
    Hi all,

Joined the site a while back after decided I wanted to try raising a few hens for personal egg supply and a few meat birds for the freezer. I kept seeing references to chicken math and thought I knew what it meant and that it was something lesser mortals struggled with. No way I would succumb like the rest of you, lol.

Today I looked back at the last few weeks and realized I am well on my way to a degree. There has to be a support group I can join.

I wanted to start right away and with min. order of 25 chicks atm, I split an order with a neighbor. I initially wanted and ordered 6 Blackstars and 6 Meat birds. Then I started reading about different breeds in the forum and ordered 6 Black Astralorps and 6 Easter Eggers (who knew you could get colored eggs? gotta have some of those!). Then I decided I have space and 12 Meat birds wouldn't be any more work so added another 6.

This morning I added 6 Buff Rocks to the order. So I've gone from 12 to 36 on my first order and haven't even built a brooder yet.

Worse (or it gets better depending on your point of view) I just decided I want to be able to hatch as well. Thought I would get a small, budget friendly incubator and a few hatching eggs. Somehow I talked myself up from a mini Eco to a Dickey, lol, just sent my order in for a 2x2.

I honestly did not see this coming but think I'll be ok with a little help.

Right?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Chicken math... Just go with it...

1 person likes this.
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I see its hit you pretty bad, huh? [​IMG] Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by