Omg The Unexpected Egg It Has Hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bugland, Jul 11, 2010.

1. bugland

bugland New Egg

Jul 3, 2010
    Chicagoland
    um, hi, i'm Tam, a complete newbie, spouse of 6Happiness here in the forums. our Sylvia was unexpectedly inseminated by her rooster friend, Pasquale (how this could be unexpected shows how noob we are) and one, or possibly two, of her eggs turned out fertile. we were letting her brood them because she was so desperate to brood something, and candling the eggs improperly so we were sure they were all empty- then i was told how to candle them correctly, and found to my shock that one was full of Chick (the other is questionable; we're leaving it with her because obviously we know nothing about anything).

and this morning, in their big tank in the living room where they're living because it's so horrible hot everywhere else, under Sylvia there was THIS [​IMG] :

[​IMG]

his or her name is Beaky Doodle Dandy, after my sparrow who died recently, and because while she was brooding the eggs Sylvia did a lot of mumbling to herself, and i swear it sounded like "doodledoodledoodle."

here is his or her hind end:

[​IMG]

that is one tired chick. i don't see an egg-tooth- could it have broken off getting out of the egg?

we have no idea what it might be. Pasquale is some kind of duckwing- either a really pale golden, or a bad silver, with lacing (very pretty, though). Sylvia is a mongrel; one parent was an Orpington of some kind, and the other was god knows what. here she is as a pullet, with her dearly beloved twin Lydia, who died young:

[​IMG]

and here is Pasquale.

[​IMG]

any ideas as to the possible heritage of our weary little baby, and how we can best help Sylvia care for it, would be appreciated; at the moment she's doing her tea-cozy impression in a box in the tank, with a water dish and food heap very close by. but mostly i'm just insane with glee and want to picspam and babble [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(i hope hysterical outpourings of emoticon are not discouraged.)

anyway i've been lurking before signing up. very happy to, um, blurt my excitement all over y'all [​IMG] i'm usually more sober than this.

ETA: a friend of mine, who had one of his chicks eaten by an unrelated chicken shortly after hatching, told me to get Pasquale out of there NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW, so we put him in the big cage with the older chicks, with whom he gets along fine. any thoughts on this? could the parent rooster be a threat? i really don't want to risk this baby.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    Either way I think it will be a very handsome bird, albeit of unusual coloring.

Good luck on the new addition! ♥

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Beautiful little chick. Mama hens are such better brooders than we humans.

Congrats!

4. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    What a precious baby! I have no clue on Mom and Dad, due to the fact that I am a newbie also. They are both very lovely, and I am sure your chick will be also. Congrats![​IMG]

5. gumamelachick

gumamelachick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    East Bay
    Congratulations! Beaky Doodle Dandy is such a cutie!! What a wonderful surprise. I'm a newb, too... so I have no idea as to how that little one might feather out. Hopefully the experts can chime in.

Oh yeah, and [​IMG]

6. 6Happiness

6Happiness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I got some feedback on background of Sylvia and Pasquale over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=364702&p=1

From
    that thread, we gather that Pat MIGHT have behind him: silkie, Faverolle, bearded polish, phoenix, and/or seabright

I know the breeder we got sylvia from and Seabrights in addition to Orpingtons and barred rocks, so its possible that's in her background too, but i don't know enough about judging carriage and the like to judge how likely that is.

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Gorgeous parents and cute baby!

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Beautiful baby, but you should put him back with his mother. Unless you have a heat light/brooder set up for him....

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah, mama will take care of it better than anyone else, and yes, keeping the roo away is the best thing. Good job on the hatch and Congratulations!! New babies are so adorable!!

10. eleanorkay

eleanorkay Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Big Rapids, MI
    Congratulations! I'm a newbie too. I would be so excited. She's beautiful and lucky to have you as the "grandma"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by