OMG this is too aweful! :'(

I'd be calling an animal rescue ASAP. With the cow in that condition, whether it be malnutrition or illness, she can't provide what the calf needs. Not only that trying to provide for the calf may be more than her poor body can handle!

Quote:
That's the first thing I thought also...I've seen it before and it's not so much a case of neglect as it is a case of a cow that needs culling due to disease.

100% agree!

It's sad, but we don't really know the history of this cow. It's possible that this cow was given to this person in this condition for purposes of selling, so it may not be the seller's fault. Or, perhaps, they were abandoned in the seller's property and they can't care for it. I know I wouldn't buy them unless a vet comes out and checks them, first, that's for sure.

Ok. I've got a bit more to say about that cow, and her calf.
1. The calf was JUST born. Brand new, he just got on his feet. You can tell by the way the cow's tail is sticking out away from her body. My cow calved this past summer and that is exactly how she held her tail.
2. With that said, cows do, as a matter of fact, get pretty skinny after calving. Think about it: She's been carrying approximately 70 lbs. around inside and suddenly it's gone, and the food she has been eating has been nurturing her calf a bit more than herself. That's what happens.
3. She does not look that emaciated. Google "emaciated cow" and you'll see the difference. If you can see every individual short rib, then yes, she's in poor condition. But not just the shelf, which is always there on a well conditioned dairy cow.
4. From the Cattle Health Handbook, by Heather Smith Thomas: "Johne's disease is caused by a bacterium called Mycobacterium paratuberculosis, which is similar to the one that causes tuberculosis in humans. It affects ruminants (such as cattle, sheep, goats, deer, and bison), [...] It may take 2 to 10 years for symptoms to develop, [...]. Diarrhea, emaciation, and loss of prductivity are the result of a gradual irreversible destruction of function in the intestine. An infected animal can infect many other animals long before he appears sick. [...] Animals are usually infected as calves. [...]
Transmission Cattle ingest the bacteria when they take in contaminated feed or water or nurse a dirty udder. They can also be infected via breeding. [...] Young calves are at highest risk of picking up bacteria from manure and may be infected before birth if their dam has Johne's disease.
Symptoms At first the bacteria affect just the lower small intestine, causing gradual thickening of the lining and impeding absorption of fluid and nutrients, hence the diarrhea and weight loss. Low protein levels result in edema [swelling] under the jaw and belly. Temperature, general demeanor, and appetite remain normal, but the animal keeps losing weight, and hair color may fade. Eventually the bacteria spread from the gut to other parts of the body, circulating through blood and lymph systems."

When we bought our cow, she was skinny like that. She had recently calved and didn't have access to the best pasture. But little TLC fixed her up, and if someone without cattle sense saw her and decided that she was abused, neglected, etc., etc., and called the police because they knew nothing about cattle and didn't realize or know the true stroy, then I probably would have sued.

Last edited:
Good points!
thumbsup.gif

Looks to be a Guernsey x Jersey Cross dairy cow... I have to agree with Lothiriel, Dairy cattle don't carry condition like other cattle she just calved and puts most of what she eats into that huge udder for milk...

Back
Top Bottom