OMG this is too aweful! :'(

Could be she is old, also. It's much harder to keep condition on an older dairy cow than a younger one.

Here's a few pics of an old Jersey(8 years) that I bought a few years ago for $700. In the first pic she is due to calve any day..this is the first day I got her.

5_varied_pics_of_dogs_chickens_kids_horses_146.jpg

Here is a pic of her a week later and her newborn calf:

5_cow_154.jpg

Here's a pic of her only a month and a half after her arrival~much good feed, good graze, deworming with natural methods, washing and a daily grooming~still skinny but getting there:

5_after_of_cow_009.jpg

Her calf during her breeding back to the bull~back at the farm of her origin. They couldn't believe it was the same cow they sold me!:

5_shade_2.jpg

I sold that cow and calf for $1200 a couple of months after I bought her. She had been nursing her calf and a few others in that time, not to mention producing enough milk for us as well. She left here a very glossy, very healthy cow.

Last edited:
S&N Livestock :

Looks to be a Guernsey x Jersey Cross dairy cow... I have to agree with Lothiriel, Dairy cattle don't carry condition like other cattle she just calved and puts most of what she eats into that huge udder for milk...

That too. They put massive amounts of their energy toward making milk to feed their calf. Here's the dairy cow body condition scoring chart. (And I agree with you on her cross.
smile.png
)

Quote:
Absolutely. The older they get, the more calves they have, the lower their body condition and the harder it is to keep them in best condition.​

Last edited:
I wish the seller would have put out more info on their post about them. But, I agree, I wouldn't call any authorities without talking to the seller about the animal and it's history first. And, if you're thinking about buying, check with a vet.

Or feel sorry for it like I did....I had no intention of purchasing a cow that day. Just couldn't leave the sweet old thing behind. I didn't have the space or place for her but I eventually sold her to a very nice man who did. She found a good home and I was the go-between...and that felt good.

It didn't hurt that I made a $500 profit on the deal also.
wink.png

Last edited:
She was spoiled rotten by the time she left!
tongue.png
She got jealous of the dogs sitting with me in the orchard and would try to horn them out of the way so she could lay down next to me and place her head in my lap to get brushed.

Her name was Blossom. If I had a place with adequate acreage she would have never left my place...it was just an injustice to keep her on 1 acre of land. She deserved far and lush pastures and other cows with whom to graze.

Oh, and I have just emailed the seller asking questions about the cow and her history. I'll post their reply when it gets here, so we can all be on the same page.

Back
Top Bottom