OMG: What the heck is this??

ProfTi

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
My Tom has been coughing a bit for a couple of days. With the change in weather, I haven't been too worried. He has been eating and strutting like normal. I woke and his head and neck looked like this!!! I have never seen anything like it. Ideas???? Poor little guy. Everyone else seems just fine.

It looks like subcutaneous emphysema, or wind puff. It can be due to an injury to his air sac or from infection. Since he has been coughing, it may be infection, but I'm not sure. I don't know if want to medicate him with antibiotics such as Tylan or tetracycline, or just watch him. You may want to take an 18 gauge needle, stick it just under the skin and press the air out of there, or use a large syringe on the needle.

Where can I get Tylan? The needle sounds like it might be a good approach....it is really, really puffed up. It is the worst thing I have ever seen with my flock.

Tylan 50 is cheap and most Tractor supplies and feed stores carry it. Tylan 200 is 4 times stronger. Dose of Tylan 50 is 1 cc or ml per every 10 pounds. Tylan 200 would be 1/4 cc per 10 pounds.

I will be away for a little while from the computer--just post on here and someone will help you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom