OMG! Why?

Here is what I did in the coop. It is made out of hardwire cloth, 1/2" on the bottom and the rest 1"

22249_brooder_1.jpg

It is 3' x 5' with a draft guard around the bottom. The biggest problem I had was how to protect the heat lamp from the other adult chickens.

I don't know how big that dog kennel is or what it looks like. When I hear dog kennel, I envision a run made out of wire panels. If it is small enough, you could maybe set it up and put a draft guard around the bottom, then just heat one area. All you need to do is keep one area the right temperature. The rest can cool off a lot without causing any problems. The draft guard, which can be wood, plastic, anything solid, would keep the other chicks out.

Or use the kennel with chicken wire to keep the other chickenss out and set a brooder up in there.

The problem is we don't really have a good neutral spot in here. We live in a small house. The kitchen is really no option either as it is right near our bedroom too. Plus it is really small.

lol, no no they are not running loose. Like I said they are in a plastic tub, tote, tupper wear container whatever you want to call it.

I thought about putting them in a old dog kennel I have since our dog no longer uses it.

I guess my only two options is either putting them in the coop or our kids bathroom. I think I might put them in the kids bathroom tonight and try get a brooder set up for them in the coop.

I just can not let my family have sleepless nights because of the chicks making to much noise. I really feel bad about putting them out in the coop they are going have go there anyways.

I also have a old pack and play maybe could convert it into a brooder? I saw where some one on here was using a old play pen.

Our chicks are just abput 5 weeks old and have just moved out of my bedroom. LOL Their cheeping was ridiculous! They are now in the living room so I can sleep at night. I was hesitant to have them out here with our 2 cats but have solved it by having the cats in our room at night instead of roaming about. It's still chilly here so we have a few more weeks before I can get the chicks outside but they seem to be just as happy out here.
smile.png

I found mine to be noisy as well (ours are in our master bath too), and seemed to have night and day confused until I switched over to the ceramic heat emitter. Now they only have what natural light gets into the bathrooom. The CHE is more expensive, but it does not put out light (only heats the things under it). Now they go to sleep just after dusk and don't really make noise until dawn (boy do they make noise at dawn though). There are some challenges with the heat emitters though. I couldn't get my brooder (15 sq feet) warm enough with it in the beginning, so I used the red light until they were a couple of weeks old (not a problem if your brooder is small). It also doesn't heat as big a radius under it so if you have a lot of chicks you might need 2. They are expensive, but they last forever and they are really sturdy (they are made of thick ceramic material).

We brooded chicks in a corner of our den, right next to our bedroom, using a ceramic heat lamp. Never heard a peep any night, any night. Does your heat bulb also produce light? That might be your problem.

I can't imagine keeping them inside! They are loud and produce so much dust/dander.
sickbyc.gif
Just run an extension cord out to your coop with a heat lamp, preferrably a red one. That way you won't throw off your older hens' laying cycles and what not. They like their sleep too. You can put some hardware cloth over the top of the tub and hang the lamp up above them.

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions and comments. I sure do appreciate it.
smile.png

With our 5 week old pullets, I should say almost 6 week old pullets. There noise did not bother us really because they was mostly quite during the night. But they sure could stink up the bathroom fast.
They have been out in there coop little over a week now and have been just fine. I do miss them sometimes not being in here but I know they are happier out there.
wink.png

My husband wanted to put these chicks out in the coop the first night. Even though he is the one went out and got them for me. lol But I told him no they need to stay in here for little while like the others.

I guess it is just not going to work out like I thought it would.

Last edited:
I had 17 chicks in my bedroom and they slept through the night I didn't hear them at all at night. I recently moved them to the garage tho, (they smelled too bad). They were ofcourse awake before me but I still would t wake up to the sound of their peeping.... Unless on one of the chicks tried to fly and it would fly into the other birds then they would all make a screeching peep letting the bird know that they aren't happy with them....
Good Luck To Ya!
big_smile.png

I was thinking they might keep the older chicks awake to with all their noise. I think I'm going have to find a red light bulb. I have no idea where. Since we live in a dinky little town. Ugh.
barnie.gif

Does any one know how much hardwear cloth is? Sorry for all the questions. I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom