Omigosh! Thought They Were Both Girls! Now Some Questions!

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
My formerly 2 female East Indies Ducks are now a couple. I got them as babies about 9 months ago. I have been getting 2 eggs a day, I thought, from them. One is green and one is large and grayish. The two eggs are ALWAYS laid outside in the run, in a small nest dugout in the mulchy composty area. They are always both filthy, and sometimes covered up. I was asuming they were both laying an egg a day. I also thought they were both duck eggs because their shells are so different than the chicken eggs. My dh also swears they taste different.

Today, I cleaned and refilled their pool and sat down to watch them splash around. The one with the white chest put her head down very low on the water and stayed still. The other one, almost all black except for one feather, started bobbing his head and then GOT ON TOP OF HER. He was biting her head and doing the butt wiggle. She was getting her head shoved under the water but she was not fighting it at all.

Ok. So I get it. No big deal. Cool, now I can hatch ducklings.

Questions:
1. Does a duck lay 2 eggs a day?
2. And can they be 2 different colors?
3. Or is a chicken laying an egg with the duck egg?
4. Or are neither of them duck eggs?
5.There's no way one is still a girl taking on the role of the boy, right?

Any other helpful tidbits would be greatly appreciated. This is baffling.
Also, I had my Silkie sitting on eggs, and one was what I thought was a duck egg. And it didn't hatch. So is it possible that this was the first time for my ducks?

My formerly 2 female East Indies Ducks are now a couple. I got them as babies about 9 months ago. I have been getting 2 eggs a day, I thought, from them. One is green and one is large and grayish. The two eggs are ALWAYS laid outside in the run, in a small nest dugout in the mulchy composty area. They are always both filthy, and sometimes covered up. I was asuming they were both laying an egg a day. I also thought they were both duck eggs because their shells are so different than the chicken eggs. My dh also swears they taste different.
Today, I cleaned and refilled their pool and sat down to watch them splash around. The one with the white chest put her head down very low on the water and stayed still. The other one, almost all black except for one feather, started bobbing his head and then GOT ON TOP OF HER. He was biting her head and doing the butt wiggle. She was getting her head shoved under the water but she was not fighting it at all.
Ok. So I get it. No big deal. Cool, now I can hatch ducklings.
Questions:
1. Does a duck lay 2 eggs a day?
2. And can they be 2 different colors?
3. Or is a chicken laying an egg with the duck egg?
4. Or are neither of them duck eggs?
5.There's no way one is still a girl taking on the role of the boy, right?
Any other helpful tidbits would be greatly appreciated. This is baffling.
Also, I had my Silkie sitting on eggs, and one was what I thought was a duck egg. And it didn't hatch. So is it possible that this was the first time for my ducks?

Just because your one duck mounted the other one does not necessarily mean you have a drake, did you see his lil thingy under him when through? well actually it's not so little. Females will also do the mating behaviour with each other. next time the other one may be on top. Ducks don't lay 2 eggs aday. so most likely you have 2 girls.

My chickens and ducks sometimes lay their eggs in the same nest box, but the duck eggs are smoother than chicken eggs and usually larger.

Last edited:
I have all girls, and when they're "feeling it," they hop on top of each other.

If they both have fairly loud voices as opposed to a mumble or whisper, they are girls.

And if they don't have curly tail feathers, that's a sign, too.

But yes, they can confuse a person by their behavior!

No curly tail feathers. And both equally loud. That's why I thought they were both girls as well. I guess they were feeling amorous. Lesbian ducks. Hm. Didn't know they did that. Although, they WERE suprisingly gentle, so that would explain things. Drakes are not so kind and loving. It was as if they were making love. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom