Omlet chicken run, pros and cons?

Talked to the my handyman last night hahaha! He's gonna try to get a quote on how much its gonna cost to build an 8 x 24 stationary steel run. Exact same design as the one in my coop page, though twice the size. I'm guessing its gonna be expensive, but the current one we have works great, and it would make an amazing run!
Though if we go that route its all gonna be welded, so its gonna take some time.....
I'll have to mention the hoop coop to him, thanks again for all your help! I appreciate it!

I'm counting on my hoop run to hold up to snow as did these:

@21hens-incharge has/had a hoop coop that managed 2' of Colorado snow:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/img_20191126_134607-jpg.2236627/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cloth-need-to-go.1395404/page-3#post-22909255

Blooie's run stood up to snow and 60mph winds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/motel-chix.67240/

I used Blooie's approach of anchoring the run with T-Posts and used no wood to frame it out (just for the door). I guess if your ground is particularly sandy that may not work. But it holds up just find in plain old Western Pennsylvania dirt.

Until I get a coop article, here are some picture of my run build:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-panel-questions.1449809/page-7#post-24804205

This last winter it withstood 32+ inches of heavy wet winter/spring snow.
I had enough shoveling to try and get into what was 4 coops and runs and have since consolidated or sold birds so this winter will be easier.

IMG_20210315_083954.jpg

Hi Weeg. I think you may have also PM'ed me but I'll reply here for the potential benefit to other members!

We originally started with the Eglu Coop and attached run that was 3'x9'. I have 4 standard size chickens. Then I had a fence around a larger extended run. But my girls were jumping/flying over the 5' high fence. Plus we have hawks and coyotes here so I knew we needed a run with a top. So we got the Omlet Walk In Run...which we absolutely love!
View attachment 2855002
My girls don't currently get to free range because I have a dog. So we got the largest configuration they have online. Which is 9' wide by 24' long. And 6'7" tall. It's worked out awesome! It is very secure and sturdy. No problem to add a cover and it will have l no issue supporting snow. The roof is angled so it will also melt and drain off nicely. We are in Southern California so don't get much precipitation fortunately (well unfortunate for the water supply and environment).
I'm in the process of adding flooring since my grass has now all been eaten and destroyed. Will likely use wood chips and pine bedding per suggestions from other members. I'll probably add and 'edging' around the run so it doesn't get kicked out all over the place.

In terms of assembly...parts came in 21 boxes! But with great instructions. Think a big piece of IKEA furniture! I assembled it myself! I'm handy but no construction worker so I'd say it's easy. It took me probably 10-12 hours of hands-on time over 2 days. Mine was a non-standard assembly since I was working up against the house (with different equipment like electrical panel, raceways, pipes, etc.) I was working around and also in the back I wanted it tucked under the trees so did some customization to it.

I don't know anything about ducks but I'd say purchase the largest you can manage, even if they get to free range. The product is not cheap but a great investment you'll use forever (if you wanted to!).

Gosh I can't even think what I don't like about it...

Anyhow this is a very long reply so I'll stop there for now. But let me know if you want to know anything else. We love their products and I'm happy to share if it's helpful!
How do you reconcile with the astronomical price of this? Just asking.

How do you reconcile with the astronomical price of this? Just asking.
Yes it's definitely not cheap. But I actually got a couple of quotes to build a custom run the same size and it cost even more than the Omlet run! Plus that would not be able to be easily disassemble and relocated if I were to ever move. I figured I will always have chickens and it's a one time investment. Lastly these girls are my pets, my babies (I don't have human kiddos). So that's my justification.

Last edited:
Yes it's definitely not cheap. But I actually got a couple of quotes to build a custom run the same size and it cost even more than the Omlet run! Plus that would not be able to be easily disassemble and relocates if I were to ever move. I figured I will always have chickens and it's a one time investment. Lastly these girls are my pets, my babies (I don't have human kiddos). So that's my justification.
:clap:thumbsup

Hi Weeg. I think you may have also PM'ed me but I'll reply here for the potential benefit to other members!

We originally started with the Eglu Coop and attached run that was 3'x9'. I have 4 standard size chickens. Then I had a fence around a larger extended run. But my girls were jumping/flying over the 5' high fence. Plus we have hawks and coyotes here so I knew we needed a run with a top. So we got the Omlet Walk In Run...which we absolutely love!
View attachment 2855002
My girls don't currently get to free range because I have a dog. So we got the largest configuration they have online. Which is 9' wide by 24' long. And 6'7" tall. It's worked out awesome! It is very secure and sturdy. No problem to add a cover and it will have l no issue supporting snow. The roof is angled so it will also melt and drain off nicely. We are in Southern California so don't get much precipitation fortunately (well unfortunate for the water supply and environment).
I'm in the process of adding flooring since my grass has now all been eaten and destroyed. Will likely use wood chips and pine bedding per suggestions from other members. I'll probably add and 'edging' around the run so it doesn't get kicked out all over the place.

In terms of assembly...parts came in 21 boxes! But with great instructions. Think a big piece of IKEA furniture! I assembled it myself! I'm handy but no construction worker so I'd say it's easy. It took me probably 10-12 hours of hands-on time over 2 days. Mine was a non-standard assembly since I was working up against the house (with different equipment like electrical panel, raceways, pipes, etc.) I was working around and also in the back I wanted it tucked under the trees so did some customization to it.

I don't know anything about ducks but I'd say purchase the largest you can manage, even if they get to free range. The product is not cheap but a great investment you'll use forever (if you wanted to!).

Gosh I can't even think what I don't like about it...

Anyhow this is a very long reply so I'll stop there for now. But let me know if you want to know anything else. We love their products and I'm happy to share if it's helpful!

I have an omlet run also and love it. Do you think the run is secure enough to leave the eglu door open all the time?

Back
Top Bottom