Omlet Cube/Run

How many winters?
How many birds?
No frostbite?
Pics of it in the winter, please.
I'm sincerely curious.
Two winters going into third this year.
Four to five birds- all medium sized. Absolutely will post winter pix!
No frostbite although we have pea comb birds- no roosters allowed in the city. I do use Calendula ointment on their feet and pea combs prophylactically only if there are a string of severe negative wind chill days. I also use multiple freestanding wooden perches inside the coop to keep their tootsies warm and hemp inside the run.
We keep the run covered completely (sides as well) so there is little snow/rain inside the run and it is largely dry. (The hemp is amazing) The run backs up to a wooden fence and the ground is angled for good drainage. ( It just sits on the grass).
I realize- not a practical set up for people with a large flock. We only have cold hardy birds. They also get warm mash twice per day in the winter.

Mine actually do spend time in the coop. Its cooler in there than in the run during summer. Its dryer in there when it rains. But that may just be my chickens. I do feel though that having such hard winters would make it more necessary to have a bigger coop. But I have not gone through a winter with chickens yet so I could definitely be wrong.
We are going into our third winter. We have a completely enclosed run with dry hemp flooring. No extra insulation needed. We did not want a coop that would require heat and do not have the space for a coop palace. Plus the mite/lice issue has been nil...(knock on wood)....
I think what works for each person is what makes chicken keeping so fun!!!
I just discovered this forum ( where have I been...?) and love all of the support from people.

We are going into our third winter. We have a completely enclosed run with dry hemp flooring. No extra insulation needed. We did not want a coop that would require heat and do not have the space for a coop palace. Plus the mite/lice issue has been nil...(knock on wood)....
I think what works for each person is what makes chicken keeping so fun!!!
I just discovered this forum ( where have I been...?) and love all of the support from people.
I’m new to this forum this year, too.

Mild weather here in Northern California - my biggest worry so far is actually the heat. It seems like summers here are getting worse and worse. The weather doesn't cool off much in the evening, so I swapped out the angled vents for hardware cloth to increase air flow. (I saved the vents so could screw them back in during winter if needed.) We also cut out a "window" covered with hardware cloth in the door. I have the coop parked in deep shade, which makes a HUGE difference in managing the temperature - frozen water bottles strategically placed helps, too. I was concerned about having a plastic coop, but much like a drink cooler, the air pockets seem to do the trick at maintaining temp. I'll be curious to see how it holds up over time.
Hi- we have had really hot and humid days. (90-100 heat index).
Maybe make a coop page, under member page articles, showing it all year around.
I am new to this forum and really appreciate everyone's input. I will do that!

I honestly think omlet anything is just a waste of money. Their biggest coop is only big enough for 2.5 birds, not th 4-5 they advertise. Their run has to be modified. What's the point of spending that much money on something that wont even work for your birds. 🤷‍♀️
Have you seen or tried the cube? I thought this forum was supposed to be kind and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom