Omlet go v Omlet cube

SW31

Songster
Jan 24, 2018
SW France, not far from Toulouse
We have a Cube (bought in 2017) in the garden but after two hens were attacked, see thread Hens in the hall, we bought a Go (January 2018) to nurse the hens in our hall. My intention has been to stick with the existing four hens and buy another Cube in 2019 and buy a further 4 or 5 hens. I can then attach the Cube to another side of the enclosed run. If my two attacked hens never lay again I might accelerate this.

The Cube will take five large birds quite easily, six might be a push. Although the Go is meant for up to three large birds I’m not sure it would be sufficient as my two seem to fill it up. Although Pauli, is known as Big Pauli for a very good reason!

I originally was thinking of converting the Go to a Go Up and putting it in the garden and attaching it to the enclosed run. I’m not so sure now and may just keep it as a separate quarantine run, separate from the other birds.

My main concern is the nesting area. In the Cube this is a separate area whereas in the Go it’s part of the house. The nesting material in the Go gets kicked into the roosting bar area so seems to waste a lot.

The Cube, while large seems to be easier to clean out and feels more study. It is well insulated. In winter I put dry old nesting material on the tray ( which had no insulation), cover it with lots of paper and then put the roosting bars over it. Then I just need to roll up the paper to remove all the chicken poo. When it gets really cold at night I put a couple of hot water bottles, wrapped in a towel, into the back of the nesting area to act as a heat block as they never go into the nesting area at night.

Finally, I’m still waiting for Omlet to bring out their automatic door. It was supposed to be available last summer, then autumn and it now looks like spring. I understand that the automatic door facility will only be available for the Cube, not the Go or other models.

Verdict: I’m very happy with the Omlet Cube and their enclosed run system. The staff are very helpful and delivery to France is very quick. The Go unit is working well for the two injured birds but their Cube model is my preferred choice.

E5CB5CEF-0D4B-4335-95A3-9C752D995302.jpeg
This is the summer set up, using thick green sheets for shade.

Very nice. The large outdoor enclosed run you posted, is that by omlet or another manufacture?

The Cube, enclosed run and the Go are from Omlet. We used an English company for the electric fence as the ones available in France were more basic. I like this fence as it has a ‘hot gate’ so you can open it easily without getting a shock while the powers still on.

Back
Top Bottom