On day 20 almost 21 of my first hatch

I am also on day 20 of my first hatch. This waiting is crazy! No pips, no peeps, just quiet, still eggs. Ugh! I was very careful when collecting these eggs. I turned them at least three times a day while collecting. I calibrated the thermometer in the incubator. I watched the humidity, but I do feel the air cells should be a bit bigger. I candled at days 7,14, and 18. All eleven were fertile. Two died before day 14 (blood rings) and one looked underdeveloped, but I left it anyway. I waited to do the incubating thing until I had birds I really liked so I could raise my own flock. Anyway...I guess I'll just have to wait it out. But I really thought I'd hear at least one peeping by now... Exactly how long do you wait until you give up? I have collected more eggs to incubate when these hatch. How long are they good for hatching? Seven days? I thought the incubator would be freed up by the weekend. Reading some of the replies on this thread makes me think maybe not. Day 21 starts today at 12:45pm. Oh, the waiting!

Just be patient
263a.png
. They should start peeping, pipping and zipping before you know it!

I have kept eggs for up to 3 weeks but hatch rate was lowered. Did u raise the humidity and stop turning these eggs on day 18?

Just be patient
263a.png
. They should start peeping, pipping and zipping before you know it!

I have kept eggs for up to 3 weeks but hatch rate was lowered. Did u raise the humidity and stop turning these eggs on day 18?

Yes, I raised the humidity to about 65% on day 18 after I took the turner out. I put down the shelf liner and set the eggs oh so carefully. I put a wet sponge in there and it raised the humidity to 70%, but has since dried out and it's back down to 65%. I'm afraid to open it to add more sponges, but I could do that if need be. I'm using a Janoel8-48, the real one, not the fake, so I can see all the action. But I don't think there is a way to add more water without opening the top. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Everything sounds good! I would leave it how it is unless u have chicks shrink wrap. No problem! Its fun that I can help people considering people were helping me last year!

I wouldn't be yet. The earlier upset may have contributed to this guy hatching a bit earlier. The others are still running on time. Last time I had one hatch the end of day 21 and it went from pip to hatch in 2 hrs, another took 12 hrs. Hatch before one hatched day 25. They have their own schedules, we just have to do the really really hard bit and wait patiently
1f60b.png
And yet people who aren't hatching seem to think patience is easy. . darn those naive people!
barnie.gif

Yup, you guessed right- I'm waiting impatiently for my eggs to hatch.
pop.gif

Everything sounds good! I would leave it how it is unless u have chicks shrink wrap. No problem! Its fun that I can help people considering people were helping me last year!

It's good that you like helping people, because I need help! I finally hear peeping, there is one that has pipped, but it's at the wrong end!!! The shell is off at that pip, but it doesn't look like the membrane (white part just inside the egg?) has a hole in it. I'm trying to decide if I should take it out and cut a little hole so it can breathe or what. I've been reading the article about assisting a hatch on Sally's thread, but this is my first one and I don't want to mess it up. And I'd rather not assist if at all possible. Help?

U could take a tweasers and make a tiny hole in the membrane but there is a chance of the being a vein right the and tearing it which could cause it to drown in its own blood which I have had happen. Its your choice.
263a.png

I did it. I took some sanitized small scissors and made a little hole. No blood that I could see coming out of the hole. Whew. Just a little chick peeping. I now have three pipped, although two are malpositioned.
barnie.gif
But they are all peeping every so often, so I'll just sit back and wait to see what happens. Thanks again for the help.

No problem! What breed r the chooks? Hopefully u have some baby chooks by tonight!

Back
Top Bottom