On Day 21, Hatched 9, 1 didn't make it......:(

jenichick

Songster
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
NC
OK, I've been so laid back, had 15 eggs in my bator from Jen, today is day 19, I've had great temps and humidity from day one. I went and picked up my parents who couldn't complete their drive up here (dad has parkinson's) just got in and checked my babies, and now I've got 6 eggs with little tiny hole cracks, what do I do???

My temp is 99.3 my humidity is 60% I've got 6 or 7 eggs with little holes and crackling, do I turn the remaining eggs or just leave them alone, do I watch them tonight, how long from pip to zip? I've got a cardboard box with heat and paper towels, I've got a feeder waterer ready, HELP!!!!!

Last edited:
IMHO, I wouldnt turn anyone. If they are all in the same environment then there is a good chance that they may all hatch a bit early. I would just leave them be at this point. Try not to open the bator at this point! That was always the hardest for me....It can be up to 24 hours but most likely closer to 8 or 12 in my experience. Leave them in until they are dry or unless they seem to be to rough on the other eggs. The less you open the bator the better since humidity is so important now.

Good luck with your babies!

At Day 19 you should have stopped turning them already, anyway. I've had one pip on Day 19 with standard breeds, but not hatch till Day 20. If you have that many pipping already, get your humidity up to at least 65% would be my recommendation. Are they already laying on their sides? You just need to go into "hatching mode" now, I think. They could take 24 hours to zip out after pipping or take 15 minutes. It varies.

Thanks!!!! I took them out of their auto turner on day 18 (yesterday), cranked the humidity up to 60%. Haven't touched them since I laid them on the rack. 5 of the holes are at the top and 3 on on the sides. So do I open it up and add some water or a warm sponge to get it up more? Is my temp ok?

So I leave them in the bator til they get out completely and fluff up?

Last edited:
Oh by the way, these are all frizzle, naked neck silkie crosses and silkie bantams.....(no standards)

I just quickly added some hot water (I've been using a baster) I see that the one with the largest hole is rocking and two others are rocking a little. I'm so excited, there is no way I can sleep if their going to hatch tonight! My parents are here and they are so interested in what I'm doing too. This is a little nerve racking it's my first incubation!!
tongue.png

One lemon yellow guy is out and crying up a storm...how long do I leave him in the bator? I wasn't quite prepare but have rigged up a brooder.........I dont' want to mess this up....

Back
Top Bottom