On day 3 of trying to hatch an egg in my boobs

I've heard of incubating in bras before but I think it was when a broody hen quit.
Since the eggs are in a sock, that should solve the possible problem of moisture/sweat in contact with the egg.
I'm sure it can work but don't know it will. I would worry about turning over in your sleep and having a bra full of yolk and albumen. Not the end of the world but the end of the embryos.
To insure a greater chance of success, make sure to turn the eggs as many times a day as you think about it. The more turning, the better development of chorion and allantois membranes that feed the embryo.
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2010/940741/The following link has lots of DIY incubator build information and incubation info in general.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...thread-w-sally-sunshine-shipped-eggs.1137467/I'd go with Styrofoam due to the insulative quality. Cardboard could work or even a cardboard box lined with Styrofoam. The plastic will wick away too much heat.
Whatever you build, make sure to provide the opportunity for oxygen. It isn't as important the first week but thereafter, the embryos need to breathe. Elevate the box, make holes on the bottom and on top so the hot air rising will draw in fresh air.
If you don't mind my asking, what island are you on? I've been on several of them.

I've heard of incubating in bras before but I think it was when a broody hen quit.
Since the eggs are in a sock, that should solve the possible problem of moisture/sweat in contact with the egg.
I'm sure it can work but don't know it will. I would worry about turning over in your sleep and having a bra full of yolk and albumen. Not the end of the world but the end of the embryos.
To insure a greater chance of success, make sure to turn the eggs as many times a day as you think about it. The more turning, the better development of chorion and allantois membranes that feed the embryo.
The following link has lots of DIY incubator build information and incubation info in general.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...thread-w-sally-sunshine-shipped-eggs.1137467/I'd go with Styrofoam due to the insulative quality. Cardboard could work or even a cardboard box lined with Styrofoam. The plastic will wick away too much heat.
Whatever you build, make sure to provide the opportunity for oxygen. It isn't as important the first week but thereafter, the embryos need to breathe. Elevate the box, make holes on the bottom and on top so the hot air rising will draw in fresh air.
If you don't mind my asking, what island are you on? I've been on several of them.
Thank you! I'm on the mainland, actually, in the Mayan Riviera.

I've got a question, does my standing/sitting/lying down with it in my boob catcher count as turning it, or do I actually have to reach in, unsock it and turn it?

I've got a question, does my standing/sitting/lying down with it in my boob catcher count as turning it, or do I actually have to reach in, unsock it and turn it?

I personally think that should be plenty of movement, much like what a broody hen does when settling down on the eggs and adjusting them beneath her. She doesn't get perfect rotation either. Though it wouldn't hurt for you to actually turn them a few times a day since they're already going to be contending with the less than optimal "settings" lol.

Perhaps just twist the sock from time to time. I'll post another link that will explain turning better.
Here it is. This may help.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/the-biology-behind-egg-turningI've been all over Riviera Maya for well over 30 years. From Isla Mujeres to Xcalac and everywhere in between and inland to Valadolid, Coba and Chichen Itza. I love that area.
However, I think the mosquitos of the Sian Khan are the worst I've experienced in my life. Once we stayed in a Mayan hut on the beach in Tankah Bay with no electricity, no running water and no screens on the windows, just wooden bars. One night a Jaguar tried to claw its way through the thatched roof from the elevated patio. The kids freaked out but none the worse for wear.

Last edited:
Perhaps just twist the sock from time to time. I'll post another link that will explain turning better.
Here it is. This may help.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/the-biology-behind-egg-turningI've been all over Riviera Maya for well over 30 years. From Isla Mujeres to Xcalac and everywhere in between and inland to Valadolid, Coba and Chichen Itza. I love that area.
However, I think the mosquitos of the Sian Khan are the worst I've experienced in my life. Once we stayed in a Mayan hut on the beach in Tankah Bay with no electricity, no running water and no screens on the windows, just wooden bars. One night a Jaguar tried to claw its way through the thatched roof from the elevated patio. The kids freaked out but none the worse for wear.
OMG that's scary but also awesome! And yes mosquitoes down here are FIERCE. I'm scared of my dogs getting heartworm so I'm religious with the Nexgard Spectra! Lol

And thank you for the info! I had been wondering why turning is needed, so this is great to know.

Sorry didn't actually read cause I have to go do stuff now and I'm in a hurry. But I'll throw in my experience.

I lost power during Hurricane Dorian last year for 4 days. My eggs were on day 14. I attempted to do the same thing. Wore a sports bra, shirt, sweater, and down filled jacket that kept me warm at -50C in the wind out on the Prairies. in an attempt to keep them warm enough. All of them had died by the third day. :/ I won't be doing it again.

Sorry didn't actually read cause I have to go do stuff now and I'm in a hurry. But I'll throw in my experience.

I lost power during Hurricane Dorian last year for 4 days. My eggs were on day 14. I attempted to do the same thing. Wore a sports bra, shirt, sweater, and down filled jacket that kept me warm at -50C in the wind out on the Prairies. in an attempt to keep them warm enough. All of them had died by the third day. :/ I won't be doing it again.
I'm sorry for your loss :(

Back
Top Bottom