On day 3 of trying to hatch an egg in my boobs

So I candled it using my cell phone light and for the life of me I can see nothing at all inside the egg, aside from what seems to be a lighter "cap" right on the thick end (maybe the air pocket?)

There's also "spiderwebbing" visible inside the shell, that's been there for about a day and looks like the cracks formed when you smack an egg against the counter but it doesn't quite break. However, it's small and the shell is still smooth and unbroken, will that hurt anything or should I start anew with a 2nd egg?

It's been in there nonstop since Friday night, so today is the 3rd day...is it still too early to tell?

I can feel the warmth coming off it from being in my boobs. Lol

So I candled it using my cell phone light and for the life of me I can see nothing at all inside the egg, aside from what seems to be a lighter "cap" right on the thick end (maybe the air pocket?)

There's also "spiderwebbing" visible inside the shell, that's been there for about a day and looks like the cracks formed when you smack an egg against the counter but it doesn't quite break. However, it's small and the shell is still smooth and unbroken, will that hurt anything or should I start anew with a 2nd egg?

It's been in there nonstop since Friday night, so today is the 3rd day...is it still too early to tell?

I can feel the warmth coming off it from being in my boobs. Lol

It's difficult to see on day 3 and I would think the development would be slightly stunted from the possibly lower temps in your "incubator". These are the Silkies I hatched last month and what they looked like on day 3 & day 6. If you don't know what you're looking for it can be difficult to see (even harder to see in am image so I also converted it to black and white).

1-31-20 Day 3 Silkie.jpg
2-3-20 Day 6 Silkie.jpg

It's difficult to see on day 3 and I would think the development would be slightly stunted from the possibly lower temps in your "incubator". These are the Silkies I hatched last month and what they looked like on day 3 & day 6. If you don't know what you're looking for it can be difficult to see (even harder to see in am image so I also converted it to black and white).

View attachment 2040549View attachment 2040550
Thank you for the images! They are hugely helpful, though I don't see anything resembling veining inside the egg, yet. I will wait till day 6, then. Because right now, to my eye at least, it looks as though it were totally empty :( I hope it's just early + growing slow from my boob heat...because the hen was definitely with a roo less than 1 week before laying lol. And she's not a new layer, the person who sold her to me told me she's raised clutches before. She's 11 months of age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom