On day 3 of trying to hatch an egg in my boobs

Pics

PrincessKiara

Songster
Mar 2, 2020
Caribbean
Hello all!
So I'm very new to chickens. I recently bought two adult Silkie hens, and impulsively stuck their egg in my bra Friday night (they were housed with a rooster up until I bought them around a week ago). It's currently in a sock inside my sports bra, under/between my boobs. I'm just scared my melons will crush it, those things are heavy haha!

Anyway, how soon can I tell if anything is developing? It's been 2 days, today will be the 3rd. I've slept with it in my bra, just have to sleep on my back lol.

So uh. Any tips? Anyone done it before?

I have a few other eggs I'd like to hatch, but for those I will be building a homemade incubator. There's only so much room under my melons, after all!

I have a 40-watt incandescent bulb, now just trying to figure out whether to use a Styrofoam box, shallow plastic box or a cardboard box for the body of the incubator. I live in the Caribbean so it's pretty hot and humid here.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of that before. I hope you don’t mind that I’m laughing 😂 at the silliness. Our bodies only get so hot and they need a constant 99.5 degree temp to grow and develop properly. I first candled my eggs at Day 4 (which I set in an incubator) and it had veins. I am sure you can check on days earlier than 4 but I have no experience.

Our bodies only get so hot and they need a constant 99.5 degree temp to grow and develop properly.
That temp is in circulated air... still air is 102. ;)

impulsively stuck their egg in my bra Friday night
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I suggested exactly that to a previous patron of mine who lives "off grid" and incubates at her friends house. Her reply was she doesn't wear bras cuz she's got no bust. :lol:

Lets see... biggest issue I see other than temperature mentioned... which by the way is more like ideal temp than required... slightly lower temp... slightly later hatch.. as long as it's kept in a certain range... MAYBE!

Beyond that... breasts can get sweaty under and if not... still the skin will be sealing any pores not allowing for evaporation and gas exchange... and antiperspirant would also clog egg pores. Have you used a thermometer to check the temp under them melons yet?! :gig

Silkie eggs are often noticeable by day 4 in my experience.

Although I have heard of folks successfully HATCHING eggs in their bras after a hen quit or was taken... they are already much more viable after being farther along. I suspect starting early will result in early quitters as mentioned by Happy Henny. But I still LOVE the idea of trying! :thumbsup

Styrofoam and cardboard are both better insulators than plastic IMO. And I think cardboard will actually absorb any moisture... possible creating more difficulty... but this may also require experimentation on your part. :pop

Good luck and happy hatching! :jumpy

lol, So your biggest difficulty is going to A) Not accidentally breaking them and B) The temperature. We don't run as hot as chickens and the eggs need 99.5°F consistently for a more successful hatch. That isn't saying you won't see development for anywhere between 98.5-102°F, you're just more likely to see more quitters in early embryo development.

Unless you were to never move, that would take care of the motion/rotation and your body will give off humidity much like a chickens. So unless you have a temperature for 3 weeks straight I can't see this working long term, though in a desperate attempt to save chicks that were almost at hatch I did read that someone managed to do this, toward the end of incubation though, and the farther along the embryo is, the more tolerant of temperature change they would be.

Not impossible, just improbable. I do love a good experiment! lol :pop

That temp is in circulated air... still air is 102. ;)

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I suggested exactly that to a previous patron of mine who lives "off grid" and incubates at her friends house. Her reply was she doesn't wear bras cuz she's got no bust. :lol:

Lets see... biggest issue I see other than temperature mentioned... which by the way is more like ideal temp than required... slightly lower temp... slightly later hatch.. as long as it's kept in a certain range... MAYBE!

Beyond that... breasts can get sweaty under and if not... still the skin will be sealing any pores not allowing for evaporation and gas exchange... and antiperspirant would also clog egg pores. Have you used a thermometer to check the temp under them melons yet?! :gig

Silkie eggs are often noticeable by day 4 in my experience.

Although I have heard of folks successfully HATCHING eggs in their bras after a hen quit or was taken... they are already much more viable after being farther along. I suspect starting early will result in early quitters as mentioned by Happy Henny. But I still LOVE the idea of trying! :thumbsup

Styrofoam and cardboard are both better insulators than plastic IMO. And I think cardboard will actually absorb any moisture... possible creating more difficulty... but this may also require experimentation on your part. :pop

Good luck and happy hatching! :jumpy

lol, I do wonder after reading your post if we came across the same woman that saved babies in her bra or if this is a common occurrence. :lau

Back
Top Bottom