? on Muscovies

Quote:
Bummer, you're really far from me since I live in Southern Maryland just outside of Washington DC. Too bad, since I'd love to have them and I have no DH to tell me no - LOL!

I adopted 8 muscovies and they are afraid of us. The 2 females were killed by a fox so I only have the 6 males left. I was hoping to breed them and raise some duckies that ARENT afraid of people. They do come running when they see me (I'm usually bearing treats) but they stay just out of arms reach and scatter if you move too quickly. I love them though...

Well, it's been a couple months since we got our new Muscovy girls. They are still real stinkers to the other ducks. I wish I had a separate area to keep them in. They are really bullies about food and water. I have to drive them away to let the others get a chance to eat. They jump in the pool and make the others jump out. Real brats. I enjoy them and realize they are just being ducks, but they are not the nicest birds sometimes.
Still hoping they will eventually stop being dopes, but honestly don't see that happening.
barnie.gif

I have 2 mallard hens, 1 small pekin hen, 1 runner/magpie cross hen, 3 scovie hens and 1 scovie drake and have no problems other than my small pekin hen needs time to herself away from the drake now and then. My pekin is my little special needs gal, she has a limp and is slower than the rest so she gets plenty of time to play outside of the pen by herself. I do let the drake top her now and then but stay with her and pick her up when he's done. The first time they were together he topped her so much she had cuts under her wings so the two of them no longer get time alone together. I hatched my pekin in the house and raised her inside for her first 3 months so she thinks she's human, she loves her duck siblings and has fun with them but doesn't get stressed when she's not with them. She's 3 yrs old now and she has been broody 4 times. One of my scovie hens (Bleenie) is a lap duck and has been since she hatched, she follows me around and will even stand outside my craft room window and sing to me...she just tickles me to bits. I love all of my ducks but I must say the best breed in my opinion is the Muscovy.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom