On the other side...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You guys may be facing winter...snow and wondering who is going venture outside to bring in some more wood for the fire- but today here in Melbourne its a scorcher. Currently its 1pm and 37.8 c or about 100 F with temps set to go as high as 107F

This is Stevie-Ray my blind duck chilling out with one of the ice bottles I prepared overnight. She is in what is fast becoming the last of the shade on that side of the yard so I will go out and move her shortly.

[​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Aww, so sweet! how come shes blind [​IMG]

And about the fire wood, yeah, im actually going to do that now [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    She has been blind since she hatched...just one of those things that go wrong when incubating.

She is happily sitting with her ice bottle while the other ducks pant and run from one pool to the next trying to get in. I have just hosed them all down again and will continue to do so every half hour or so until the evening when it cools down a bit. Some of them have even gone in the shed to try and get out of the heat- but its even hotter inside- I might take a fan out there and plug it in so they can have some air flow.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Aww, thats sad. Shes very pretty.

Wow, it gets hot here but not THAT hot [​IMG] it was pretty harsh here for a while though. I had to put ice in the duck pond the one day, they all were laying in the yard panting their head off! Poor babaies!

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Awe ducky she looks as cute as she did the day she was hatched!! I love her. She has such a cute personality. How are Monty and crumpet doing with the heat? I hope it cools down there!! Your poor babies. Duckie sends his love [​IMG]

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Monty and crumpet only have a baby bath since there is only the two of them now- but they have the best spot for shade in the yard. They have also been getting a spray from the hose every half hour- even now its past 8 pm and its still hot.

Yes- Stevie-Ray has always been a sweet heart. Instead of love .... can duckie send some cooler weather [​IMG]

Tomorrow will be another hot one, but not as bad as today. Back to work for me aswell, so I wont be here to spray them- I might have to duck home on my lunch break to check on them all though.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I hope you get a break in the heat soon, we're just starting to get the real winter blast so looking forward to spring. I keep a fan going in both of my coops in the summer.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks for the update and the good news that you are all managing okay so far.

Something else the basement duck pen is good for is hiding from heat, as well as chill. We're expecting single digits F tomorrow night - about -10C, I think.

Cool water is a great blessing in the summertime! Be sure to use some for yourself!

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A cool change came through at around midnight- but the murcury rose with the sun this morning. There is however a nice breeze today keeping things a little cooler than yesterday. My daughter is home on " Duck Duty " today. Im quiet sure she we turn the hose on herself a few times over the course of the afternoon.

Amiga - a basement would be lovely- there are actually very few houses in Australia that have them though. I think people over here just dont understand what they are missing. Years ago I remember exploring my fathers new house- it had what was called a "wine cellar". It was dug into the rock under the 3 storey house and more like a cave than a basement but it really was a great room for a young teen to hide out in - It would have also been perfect for ducks.

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We are blessed with the way our house is situated. I did not realize how much so till we needed to get the ducks into a much warmer place last year. The walkout is wonderful! Cannot imagine having to get ducks up steps and out to the yard. Ack!

I can see that in lower areas (we're up a little ways on a small hill - the Chestnut Tree Hill, it's called) a basement is a bit of a liability in case of floods, which happen in other parts of town.

The wine cellar sounds really neat. And I'm glad your daughter's able to take care of the ducks, and herself!

Where I grew up it got pretty warm and very humid - the U.S. southeast. It's rarely that warm here, though we do have days near or slightly above 100F. Usually it cools off some at night (unlike my home town, where 97F days would cool off to 95F at night).

Thinking of you there![​IMG]

(Keep plenty of backup water and ice!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by