On the subject of incubators

hypnofrogstevie

chick magnet
16 Years
Jul 12, 2007
Newport, MI
I know that this has been repeated over and over. I am saving up for a new bator and keeping the brower as a hatcher. I am really eyeing up the rcom 20 pro because I love al the things on it plus you can update the species of birds. so my question is which one would you choose? rcom 20, rcom 20 pro or the 1588 genesis from GQF? Has anyone used the rcom 20 and is it good? Please let me know what you would choose
smile.png

P.S. is the 1588 made a styrofoam or plastic because I dont like styrobators

Last edited:
The 1588 is a styrobator. If I had the money, I would probably try the r-com just because it looks like it does a lot of things, and it's plastic. I don't know anything about it, though. I love my 1588. I have no idea how well the r-com holds temp and humidity. The 1588 is fantastic with that. I think I got lucky, buying what I did. Cost was also a major factor for me.

So...I dunno. I plan to buy a new bottom for mine after a few hatches. They are only $8. I would prefer plastic, but I really do like this one a lot.

So....I dunno!
roll.png

Edited to add:

I think I still would have chosen the 1588. It holds a lot more eggs, from what I was reading. I think the r-com holds 20?

Last edited:
thank you both for the info. I am thinking the rcom 20 pro because $600 gives you alot but alot of it will fail as well. It has a 1 year or 2 year warrenty (cant remember) and I like it alot. You could even do bald eagles... dont ask lol

here is a link to the rcom 20 pro
http://cgi.ebay.com/R-Com-Pro-20-Eg...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

ebony: I dont hatch out much anyway. its 15 eggs and under
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It's not really fair to compare the R-Com with the styrofoam incubator.

The R-Com really does do it all, automatically and accurately.

That's maybe why it's $600. If I could afford it there really would be no choice. A better comparasion might be with the new Brinsea Octogan 20. The Brinsea is cheaper but it does not have automatic humidity controll. That's extra.

I was looking at the brinsea as well but I like how I can do everything by computer with the pro lol. I use my computer for everything.

so now my 2 choices are the briensea octagon 20 and the rcom 20 pro.

I know someone is going to mention the sportsman. I am not going to buy it because it can hold ALOT of eggs. My mom will kill me when she sees over 300 birds in my room lol. Trust me I can get crazy with eggs.

Yeah, if the number of eggs isn't a factor, then you could definitely do the r-com. It sounds like a great bator. I know Cara just got the Brinsea and she isn't totally pleased with it, so you might want to check out her thread, maybe ask her some questions about it.

http://backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39715

I couldn't afford the r-com, but if I could, I would absolutely buy it, only one that holds more eggs, like maybe 30.

Last edited:
I had the r-com 20 and it's a great bator and a snap to clean. I sold it to a friend when I bought the sportsman. I was just reading a article in practical poutlry that the new r-com coming out is not going to use the sponge. That is the main complaint I had with it. You only get 4 or 5 hatches out of it then it starts to fall apart and they are about $11 to replace them. I always kept a second one on hand just incase. Plus to get 20 eggs in it you have to buy the chicken egg tray. The univeral one only holds about 18 if they are large eggs. But I loved it so I was willing to pay the money for it. Good Luck on which ever one you buy.

I am using the brinsea r-com 20-- and I am loving it- except that I ahve to add water every day- (boo hoo) but it even tells me when to do that. I wish it was mine! it is a loaner. I dread the day the owner will want it back. I have had it nearly 3 weeks- the first eggs ( not mine- part of the deal) should hatch this weekend) but it is awesome. Have a yard sale, sell a kidney- you really will like it I think. BUt sportsman...... Ob ebay Ihtink the rcom 's are only about $480 including shipping ( ONLY-yeah right)

Ok. I guess its the rcom then. Or should I wait for the new one? Like I said I do everyhting by computer so would the new one have USB capabilities?

Back
Top Bottom