On the term "show quality"

I know my chicks are from show backgrounds. Hope I don't sound know it all. I have a splash hen with the poof as big as Hattrick. The woman I got her from paid $150.00 for her and I paid nothing. She gave her to me in exchange for 12 of her fertile eggs when she layed them. So If anyone has a Show roo they are willing to sell Please let me know. It needs to be 20-30 mins from Salisbury, NC. Or if you are coming this way like to a show or something you could bring them here.
Thanks

feather leg farms
What do you have?
I assume you have a purebred bird of quality. Let us know what breed? Maybe someone might live close to help.

The perfect bird hasnt been born

I agree , anything can come out of even champion birds. I have seen just in sebrights very long backs too long legs and flopping tails on roosters, a variety of mishaps, BUT ... your chances are probably better with a reputable breeder who cares. The birds can throw back somewhere in time sometimes. Its just the nature of it.

People sometime breed just for the color and as one judge told me never ever sacrifice type (your foundation) for color, first you build the house foundation correct first , then you paint it.cull out a bad comb for a better comb ect..you can try and correct a not too bad comb with good hens if your careful..the color is much easier to change than real foundation problems

A freind of mine is a Good breeder and uses a ruthless culling practice. Most of those birds wind up in good homes with 4Hers and novice show people. She now keeps small flock of high quality.

Some breeders keep hundreds of birds and still cull out constantly.

I have traveled long distances befor,to look at birds, a couple people had some real nice birds and took a lot of time to work out problems

I ve seen some not so great operations too

And at one show a young lady had a couple outstanding birds that she got from cackle hatchery, Im not sure where they are located but the birds were impressive for a hatchery, she said she got real lucky with a large order she got from them. I cannot tell a lie, they were nice birds, she actually got best in show with a cochin and a cayuga duck best waterfowl, I couldnt take my eyes off the cayuga duck,beautiful bird, I sure wished I could have one. there were several of them at the show but hers was somehow a cut above. She said he had won every show he was entered in so far. Again, they were from a hatchery, she did a fantastic job with those birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom