Once again, SQ standard Cornish LF, looking for breeders

dancingbear

Songster
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
South Central KY
Apparently, stating that I'm looking for SQ standard Cornish LF, isn't specific enough. I'll elaborate.

I DON'T WANT HATCHERY PRODUCTION-RUN CORNISH. I am NOT having any trouble at all finding dark Cornish hatchery birds. Those are easy. McMurray has them. Ideal has them. Cackle has them. I'm sure many other hatcheries have them.

IF I WANTED HATCHERY STOCK I'D ORDER SOME FROM A HATCHERY.

I'm looking for SQ, purebred standard Cornish, LF. If that's not what you have, please don't tell me you have what I want. You don't.

The reason I want SQ birds is this:
They are as pure-bred as is possible to find. Hatchery birds are not. They get leghorn and other breeds mixed in to improve egg production and fertility. All that is fine, if you don't need a pure line for some reason.

I have some specific breeding goals in mind, I'm starting some breeding experiments this coming year, as soon as I can acquire the breeds I need, and grow them to maturity so they can breed. I want large, strong, healthy birds, that have been kept as close to the breed standards as possible, to start with. I don't want a bunch of hatchery mutts. Not that there's anything wrong with hatchery mutts, I have a yard full of them. They're nice, they lay eggs, they're pretty colors and patterns. They are not suitable for the breeding experiments I want to do. I need purebred birds for that.

Anybody who has SQ Cornish, I'd love to hear from you. Or if you know where I can find some, I'd love to hear from you.

I'd also like to hear more about the fertility issues with SQ Cornish. I have 4 hatchery DC hens, they have a great fertility rate. They just aren't really very close to the breed standard. Cute, pretty, great moms, but not very big, (the largest of the 4 probably weighs about 4 lbs, the smallest maybe 2.5. These are supposed to be LF) and I suspect they got mixed with bantams somewhere along the line. They came from McMurray.

My thanks to NYREDS and Mikarod for info, those two leads may actually get me what I need, I'll find that out pretty soon. But more sources or leads on sources would be appreciated, if anybody has any.

Terrielacy, thanks for closing the other thread. I was unpleasantly surprised at what happened with it.

I was just looking up cornish on the internet, and this farm breeds and shows the bantam and large fowl. You could give it a shot and see if they have any eggs/chicks for sale.

http://acahadypoultry.com/standards.html
Hope that helps some!
smile.png

Last edited:
I came across another place. I completely forgot about Reese Turkey in Kansas.

I'll be getting some of their Barred Rocks this December.

http://www.reeseturkeys.com/chickens.htm

He has his own line, and uses them as utility birds. BUT, he has a thing with sticking as close to the standard as possible with what he has. (Just take a LOOK at them Barred Rocks!)

Quote:
I know nothing about Cornish, but that breeder must be popular because I suggested that site also!
big_smile.png

Ohh I just now noticed that LOL!

Wow, thanks, guys! I've emailed ACA Hady Poultry, and Reese Turkeys. Reese Turkeys' website looks like they only sell processed poultry, but maybe they will sell a few eggs or something. I emailed anyway, I guess I'll find out.

I called the guy NYREDS suggested, he gave me contact info for a breeder, but I haven't called him yet.

I've contacted the guy Mikarod suggested, he said he'll sell fertile eggs in the spring, if he has enough.

So I'm checking multiple sources, in case one doesn't pan out, maybe another will. I wouldn't mind getting birds from more than one place, too, so there's a little more diversity in the gene pool.

I was beginning to think I'd be stuck with hatchery stock, and was getting a little desperate about it. Thanks, I feel better now! There's hope for standard Cornish!

Back
Top Bottom