Once we start getting eggs how do you handle/keep them

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by hlhutchinson, May 23, 2017.

1. hlhutchinson

hlhutchinson Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2015
    Casper Wyo
    If eggs are clean and we don't wash them I have seen that they don't need to be put in the fridge? Is this correct how do you handle, clean, store your eggs?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I prefer a quick hot water wash, rubbing off any dirt, than I refrigerate. I reuse egg cartons, so unwashed eggs to me seem unsanitary, especially in my refrigerator.

hlhutchinson likes this.
  3. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    You don't need to refrigerate clean, unwashed eggs. I only do it out of habit. They store better in their cartons upside down. They'll keep for two or three weeks, but If you're unsure ... 'float' them. Place the egg in water. If it sinks, it is fine! If it floats, discard it. If it sinks, but seems a little buoyant, it is okay, but use it now.

hlhutchinson likes this.
  4. Jess-A-Chick-A

Jess-A-Chick-A Just Hatched

May 23, 2017
    Only 2-3 weeks?? I was told they keep for up to 9 weeks on your counter if you don't wash them. :confused:

5. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    Longer than three weeks is probably okay too ... but I get 'funny' about it after that long. My OCD ha me constantly rotating eggs to make sure we're not eating one that is too old. When in doubt, float test them!

hlhutchinson likes this.
  6. sdaikus

sdaikus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    weird question.. does anyone ever dye their white eggs for décor purposes? if so can I still keep them on the counter or do I have to refrigerate them after that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by