Once you added a light to your coop how long before your hens began to lay again

It depends on whether your birds have been molting or not. If they are molting, adding light isn't going to speed anything along until they are done molting. Otherwise, it should take a couple days.

Man ive had chickens for 3 years now and this is the first year the oldest ones are molting. Between molting, the minimal daylight hours, and some new chickens bringing in mites, I'm getting 1 egg a day!!! And have 15 that lay and 15 coming due to start any day! Depressing.

But I put up lights last Saturday, treated the mites yesterday and I guess just will wait out the molting :) ugh

i have no egg production.  my three now are molting and it seems they have been molting forever.  I put a 60w light bulb in the coop this week but still nothing except one dead chicken 2 days ago.

One of mine died last week I don't know why. Maybe the molting and mites? Who knows

A couple things I have read recently is a 40 watt bulb is enough light for a 100 sq ft coop and BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) seems to help with regrowth of feathers. I had also heard extra light in the morning hours instead of the end of the day but not sure why.

A couple things I have read recently is a 40 watt bulb is enough light for a 100 sq ft coop and BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) seems to help with regrowth of feathers. I had also heard extra light in the morning hours instead of the end of the day but not sure why.
I will have to try the morning light instead. i have been having my light come on at 530 at night until 830 pm. Thanks.

I'm curious too. I have such a small brood, just the three girls. My white sussex is busy being momma, and I'm assuming she won't lay again for another month or so. I haven't seen an egg from the other two all week. I put up some solar lights that give them a few extra hours of light in their coop at night. I'm hoping I was absolutely brilliant, and they'll be back to their egg a day routine soon. I feel silly buying eggs at the store when I have chickens!

Back
Top Bottom