One bantam has a sneeze/cough - i don't dare give her a shot

Groo

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 10, 2012
Maine
Good morning, all, and Happy Holidays!

My one of my eight bantams (7 months old) has a cough/sneeze that seems to be getting worse. No other symptoms, she is eating and drinking as usual. I keep the coop clean (they were confined to the coop for 5 days because it was so frigid outside) and they have a large run.

I am new to chicks this year (total smitten, BTW), and from what I read, I may have to give her antibiotics. Is that the only way to go here? I don't dare give an injection. Are there other options?

Please help - these forums have proven very helpful to me in the past! Thanks so much.

Groo

Last edited:
It sounds like your chicken has a respiratory disease, which are especially common in the fall and winter. Antibiotics are often the best option for respiratory diseases. Some respiratory diseases are viral, which won't really respond to antibiotics, but many others are bacterial caused. Even if its a viral respiratory disease, antibiotics are a good idea, to prevent secondary bacterial infection caused by the weakened immune system.

I would get antibiotics if this was my bird. Some antibiotics do not have to be given as injections. Terramycin, Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, and Tylan50 can all be given either in the water or orally. However, injections are often the best idea, as they work the fastest. Even though your bird is drinking normally now, sick birds may stop drinking as well, and so water soluable antibiotics may not work. If delivering the injection orally with a syringe/eyedropper, there is the chance that you could get some of the medication in the chickens lungs.

Injections may seem difficult, but they aren't nearly as hard as they sound. After you give the first one or two, it will be much easier. All you need are the antibiotic, small needles (20-22 gauge), and small syringes. Here is a link with information on giving chickens injections:

http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

To summarize, I would get antibiotics and start giving your bird some. Some electrolytes and probiotics (give probioitcs after you've finished the course of antibiotics, not during) would be a good idea too. Water soluable antibiotics, like Duramycin, would be fine if you're not comfortable giving injections. However, if the water soluable antibiotics do not work, or the bird gets worse, try Tylan50. It is a stronger, better antibiotic that is usually given in the breast muscle as an injection.

Thank you very much for this thoughtful and helpful reply. My son-in-law knows how to give injections, so we will be doing that today. I so appreciate your help!
Groo

Hi there. Here's an update on our chicken doctoring. We have so far given my wheezing and sneezing bantam one shot a day for two days Tylan50 (1.5 cc). Today is the third day and she is worse this morning with her coughing and sneezing. And she sounds more mucousy (is that a word?) today as well. I don't smell anything bad at her beak. She smells as sweet as ever :).

We weren't sure what dose to give her so guessed at the 1.5 cc.

Any thought as to what might be going on? Or am I just too eager to have her better and need to be patient? I thought that she would at least start improving after the second injection (my wonderful son-in-law is a diabetic and as such is very accomplished with a needle).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Groo

Hi,

I am not an expert by any means, but also doctoring a chicken with a respitory infection. The posts that I read suggested .5cc for five to seven days I believe. Oh, and I think it was .5 cc for a full-grown hen, not a bantam, so maybe your dose is a bit high?

My hen is doing better after three days of injections of .5cc of Tylan-50.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm glad your chick is better. Mine is better but still a little sneezy after 7 days of .5 cc of Tylan50.
Tonight it will be 15 below zero but the coop is cozy at about 38-40 degrees, thank goodness.

I think it's not as much fun having chickens in the winter - I feel guilty that they have to stay inside on these bitterly cold days and nights, with not much to do Oh well, spring will come eventually!

Happy New Year!

thank you.

I bought some today, noticed it was for other farm animals. I would like to add it to there water, how much would one use per gallon? I didn't hear my chick cough or sneeze today both times I was out there. I would like to still give them some just to be proactive and try to nip it in the bud before hand.

thank you.

I bought some today, noticed it was for other farm animals. I would like to add it to there water, how much would one use per gallon? I didn't hear my chick cough or sneeze today both times I was out there. I would like to still give them some just to be proactive and try to nip it in the bud before hand.
Tylan 50 is not for the water.

-Kath

Back
Top Bottom