One BIG egg! (with pics)

Wow
ep.gif

Chickens are amazing
yippiechickie.gif

We got a 3.2 oz egg from one of the Golden Comet pullets and I hard-boiled it and it is being pickled now. We frequently get really large double yolk eggs from them. I'm only afraid they will 'burn out' soon at this rate. So far they just free-range and get some scratch and corn. I haven't been giving them layer feed yet because the roosters kept eating it up. They also eat eggs if any get cracked but they are wild about butter cookies and having had a taste the 3 GC girls just about mow me down when I go outside to see if I have any in my pockets.

For comparisons sake a postage scale is very handy. I write the date on the egg in pencil and sometimes the weight. The Japanese bantams have the smallest eggs but beautifully shaped and delicious pickled in beet juice.

Ouch.

This reminds me of a funny story. Back when I had geese, someone came over our house to install carpeting. We found out that he raised chickens, we showed him one of our giant goose eggs and he asked if he could take one home as a prank on his wife.

His plan was to come inside after taking care of the chickens with the egg and tell his wife that he found it under a dead chicken lol. Poor girl never had a chance.

I haven't been giving them layer feed yet because the roosters kept eating it up.

I havn't started feeding my girls Layer feed yet but I didn't think to be concerned that the roos would eat it. Is it a problem for the roos?

I feed my girls layer feed and scratch and occasionally offer oyster shell..the roos have always gotten the same thing without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom