One breed or many?

AnnieOK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 31, 2011
Southcentral Oklahoma
I've noticed here in my browsing around and getting to know folks that most of you seem to have a variety of breeds in your flocks. Is this because there are just so many beautiful chickens and you want some of many? Do any of you have just one breed? I started out thinking I was going to get Black Australorps and now am wondering if a mix of 3 or 4 breeds would be better. There are so many wonderful looking and sounding chickens out there.

Thanks!

I started out with mixed breed (umm really freebie barnyard mixes) chickens mostly to see how I liked raising chickens and to be sure that the costs won't bankrupt me.

Turns out I like it! Soooo in about a month I'll be getting some pure breds from McM. If the breeds do well in my part of the world then I'll move on to better quality pure breds. I'm surprised at how much I like my fuzzy butts. :)

I have tons of breeds. I like to mix it up! Though there is nothing wrong with having only one breed! I know a few that do.

What breeds are you thinking? There are some breeds that should not be mixed with others, that's why I ask :)

I stuck with just one breed. Don't know why I did, though. All I really wanted were some plus sized poultry.

To me, it depends on your personal preferences and what your goals are. I like the look of a mixed flock and the excitement of never knowing what the chicks I hatch will look like. For their own reasons. some people prefer a single breed. And those reasons will be different for different people.

There is no one right answer for everyone.

I got a mixed flock because I wanted a mixed egg carton :) and I am so glad I did! I have 3 brown egg layers, 2 white egg layers and 2 EE's. Its lovely!

I started with different breeds because I like variety and liked the idea of being able to look out my kitchen window and instantly identify who is who. But, despite having different looking hens, when I went to collect eggs, they were all light brown eggs the same size and shape and I realized I had no idea who was laying what. Since then, I've been on an almost constant quest to find breeds that lay eggs different enough that I know who is laying and who is not simply by the nest box offerings. I now have Marans that lay very dark eggs, and a Sultan, who if she ever lays, should lay white eggs. I want to add some Ameraucanas and/or Aracanas, and some Buckeyes for the different colors and shapes. I have other breeds in mind also, and mostly it comes down either to a preference for the look of the bird, or for its predilection to laying an egg different enough to make it easily identifiable.

I have a buff brahma, several cochins of different colors, a barred rock, a frizzle, a silkie, two EE, a production red, a mutt hen, and a white crested black polish.....this chick season I'm hoping to add a maran, a light or dark brahma and a few more EE. I love the mixed flock. I love when people come over and ooooh and ahhhhh at the differences. By far my favorites are the brahmas and the cochins; they are the friendliest - my black cochin rooster is the mellowest bird in the flock. Puff will let ANYBODY pick him up and cuddle him.

Back
Top Bottom